Sunday, October 6, 2024

New product promises to eliminate hangovers

A Las Vegas-based company has announced a new anti-hangover drink, claiming it's the cure to morning-after headaches, nausea and other symptoms.

The lime-flavored nonalcoholic shots, called Cheerz Lime Peelerz, are produced by Cheerz USA Inc., a company known for producing anti-hangover pills. The shots are 25 milliliters and are packaged in small, clear plastic cups.

The shot is meant to be mixed with an alcoholic drink and taken once for every two to three alcoholic drinks consumed. The company claims the shot can take away the effects of a hangover the next morning and will be available on Dec. 12. They are currently available for online order but won't be shipped until Dec. 9. A carton of 48 shots costs $47.52 plus shipping, and a case with 288 shots costs $256.32 plus shipping.

The shots will be available at clubs and bars as well as some retail outlets.

Rebecca Allen, a health educator at the Olin Health Center, said the new shot sounds like "a new twist on an old story." Many companies have attempted to create pills or drinks that will supposedly stop a hangover — no matter how many drinks are consumed, she said.

"There's a myriad of ways that are very creative, in which they've worked to basically allow us to drink as much as we want without consequences," Allen said. "None of it works."

Products of this kind have not proven to be truly effective when they are scientifically tested, Allen said.

"Allowing you to drink the same amount you typically drink and not have consequences is a fallacy," she said.

Although he has never heard of the Cheerz Peelerz, Casey Comstock, a manager at Harpers Restaurant & Brewpub, 131 Albert Ave., said it sounds like something he would like to provide to Harpers customers.

"I'd say it would be a good thing," he said. "We would have to see if there would be a market for it first."

Bob Holben, a bartender at The Riviera Cafe Restaurant and Lounge, 231 M.A.C. Ave., said he wouldn't want to sell the shots because in general hangover "cures," like some pills, are not very reliable.

"I think that's bogus," he said. "I just think they're vitamins. It's the routine you have to take. When taking pills you drink a glass of water. It's just to stay hydrated."

There are two main things that contribute to making hangovers worse: lack of sleep and too much alcohol, Allen said. The best way to prevent a hangover is obvious; choose not to drink, she said. But if that isn't an option, pacing drinks and drinking water can help in lessening the effects of a hangover.

"Focus on other things than just alcohol," Allen said. "Things like time with friends or playing cards. Focus on the whole thing and not just the alcohol piece."

If none of these things work, rest and sleep are key when battling a hangover, Allen said. "Basically just lay low," she said.

Although she has never heard of hangover solutions such as pills or this new shot, health communication graduate student Nicole Keesecker said she has heard of hangover cures like drinking again the next morning to "avoid" the hangover or drinking extra strong coffee.

Because of the drinking behavior she has seen around MSU's campus, Keesecker said she thinks that something like the Cheerz Lime Peelerz would be popular.

"I just hope it doesn't make people drink too much," she said.

Share and discuss “New product promises to eliminate hangovers” on social media.