Sunday, October 6, 2024

Expert: Running outside this winter won't hurt lungs

Dennis Martell, Ph.D., coordinator of Olin Health Education, is the SN expert.

Dear Dr. D.,
Is it true that it's bad for your lungs to run during winter?
Thanks,
Chilly

Dear Chilly,

Well, as a Yooper who hails from the Porcupine Mountain area of the UP, I can honestly say that the only problem with running in the winter is making sure that if you slip, you don't fall on your "pasty" (Yooper humor).

Thanks for your question. First off, a lot of people mistakenly believe that exercising in the cold should be avoided for fear that breathing cold air can lead to a cold or flu. The truth is, if you're breathing through the nose, the air is warmed almost to body temperature by the time it enters the lungs. If you dress in layers when out in the cold, you can remove layers when you get too hot, which is common even when the temperature is quite cold.

Jon Kermiet, a fellow health educator and avid winter runner, says the perception that running is bad for the joints or harsh on the skeleton is also not accurate. Impact sports can have a beneficial effect on the bones by stimulating calcium uptake, which strengthens the bones. What makes running hard on the joints is when people run or walk primarily on hard surfaces, concrete or pavement, and with poor shoes.

If you have a good pair of running or walking shoes and get off the concrete onto the grass or trails, the impact up the legs and on the joints is greatly reduced.

So don't be afraid of exercising outdoors, even when it's cold and you have the proper shoes.

While you are up and running you may want to check out the online logging program offered free to faculty, staff and students called MSU Moves. You can do any type of exercise and be able to log and monitor your daily progress.

Go to www.olin.msu.edu or www.healthyu.msu.edu and click on the MSU Moves logo to join the MSU Moves program. Enjoy!

By the way, the only time I have truly ever run in the winter in the UP was when I was trying to get away from a bear, and frankly, I didn't notice if my lungs hurt!

Dr. D.

Share and discuss “Expert: Running outside this winter won't hurt lungs” on social media.