Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Decision on med school move nears

Leaders to discuss future of project at today's meeting

MSU and Grand Rapids community leaders are inching closer to a decision about the future of the university's College of Human Medicine.

Stakeholders in a proposed expansion of the college are scheduled to meet today in Grand Rapids to continue discussions about the project, and the group's final report could be in the works.

During the summer, specialized work groups looked into the feasibility of different aspects of the project.

The work groups were coordinated by Van Andel Institute Chief Administrative Officer Steve Heacock, who was charged with facilitating discussions among the stakeholders.

Heacock said he has spent the last month and a half talking with the chairpersons of those work groups and drafting a report of recommendations. With the stakeholders' blessing, that report could be finalized soon, he said.

"We're getting real close to that," he said. "My hope is that they accept the recommendations."

The meeting is the second this fall and will be held at the Van Andel Research Institute, a cutting-edge, cancer-research facility at the center of the proposed partnership.

In its initial stage, a partnership between the city and the university would likely be focused heavily on research collaborations with scientists from the institute, officials said.

The last time the major stakeholders met was in mid-September to hear presentations from Heacock and college Dean Marsha Rappley.

Some sort of public announcement about the status of the project should be made by the end of the year, said Tim Wondergem of Wondergem Consulting Inc., a Grand Rapids firm that has been handling communications for the stakeholders group. Any announcement immediately following today's meeting is unlikely, Wondergem said.

"My sense is there is an awful lot of content the stakeholders group is going to need to pound through," he said.

If the stakeholders approve Heacock's report, the next step in the process would be for MSU to begin negotiations with individual partners in Grand Rapids.

Following the Grand Rapids meeting, MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon is scheduled to discuss the project with Lansing-area interests Thursday.

One purpose of that meeting will be to share "thoughts and perspectives from our end," said Bill Sepic, president of the Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce.

"Any time the president's willing to meet with us, we welcome it," Sepic said.

Share and discuss “Decision on med school move nears” on social media.