Sunday, October 6, 2024

Changes proposed for condom labels

FDA wants more specific warnings about some STDs

In an effort to better educate consumers, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration wants condom labels to warn that they are not effective in preventing all types of STDs — especially those transferred by skin-on-skin contact.

If the aim of this change is to provide better information for condom users, rather than scare people, Olin Health Center Health Coordinator Dennis Martell said he thinks it is a good idea.

"Any time you can give knowledge to anyone using contraceptives, it helps them make better decisions," he said. "I do worry that the motive behind that is to be wary of condoms.

"For the most part they will protect you. But a condom only covers certain areas."

Condom packages now generally note they are effective in reducing the chance of pregnancy and getting an STD, particularly HIV, from intercourse.

Under the proposed rules, condom packages would say that they are thought to be less effective against certain STDs, including herpes and the human papilloma virus, or HPV, because those diseases can be transmitted through skin-on-skin contact in places not covered by a condom. However, studies have shown condom use does reduce the chances of a person suffering from some of the worst effects of HPV, which include genital warts and cervical cancer.

If these new labels provide potential condom users with information on how they can better protect themselves, Sarah Scranton, executive director of Planned Parenthood Affiliates of Michigan, said it is something they would support.

"We always try to provide our patients with the most knowledge we can," Scranton said. "If there were real reasons to change the labels on condoms, it would be providing people with more information.

"We are very big on providing education and resources."

In addition, packages of condoms that use chemicals which kill sperm would come with a recommendation that they should not be used by people at risk of catching HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. The spermicide can irritate the vagina or rectum, leading to a greater chance that HIV can be transmitted from an infected partner.

Martell said this part of the recommendation is something the FDA is behind on. Health educators have recommended for a long time that most people don't use condoms with spermicide because of a high incidence of allergies.

"Any time you are allergic to something, it breaks down skin and creates a direct route for the virus," Martell said. "Many people are allergic to spermicide and the amount on a condom is not enough to do a good job, period."

But regular latex condoms, which make up a majority of those in the market, are effective in preventing pregnancy when used correctly, Martell said. Any time anyone is considering a contraceptive device they should consider effectiveness, cost, side effects and comfort, he said.

"There's a lot of thinking that should go into every time you use a contraceptive device," Martell said. "The more knowledge you can have the better you are able to prevent consequences."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Changes proposed for condom labels” on social media.