Sunday, October 6, 2024

Kissing unlikely to worsen flu, but wash hands

Dennis Martell, coordinator of Olin Health Education, is the SN expert.

Dr. D.,

I know this may seem trivial, but I need to know. My boyfriend and I both have a cold, will kissing cause it to last longer and be more severe?

Sincerely,

Affectionately Infectious

Dear Affectionately Infectious,

Your question is actually very timely being that we are entering the season of colds and flu. Colds and flu are quite prevalent on campus with 84 percent of MSU students reporting having a cold and/or flu last year, with 27 percent reporting that it was so bad that it affected their academics, according to the 2004 National College Health Assessment.

Usually I don't kiss and tell, but since you ask, here's what I know. The common cold is in many ways misunderstood, although as far as we know, kissing is OK (when done the right way — but that is an entirely different column).

Having said that, and contrary to popular belief, the common cold is really not as contagious in some of the ways you might think it is. Saliva does not contain much of the common cold virus, and as such, these viruses are not commonly spread by contact such as kissing. Instead, they appear to be spread by large particles expelled at close range by coughs and sneezes. Contained areas are the worst since sometimes you cannot get away easily.

The cold virus can also be spread by contaminated fingers, which pass the virus to the nose and eye. This happens because your fingers can easily become contaminated when touching door handles, phones, etc. in public places. If you then proceed to touch your nose or eye, you might infect yourself. Best advice: wash your hands!

The incubation period for a common cold is usually around two days after the symptoms begin to appear. You are thought to be most infectious when you exhibit the early symptoms of the cold. These symptoms might include sneezing, runny nose and cough.

In your case, since you both already have the cold, it's my opinion that a little kissing isn't going to do much harm. That is, if you can be sure to avoid any close range sneezing or coughing while doing so. Besides it really ruins the moment. To learn more about how to avoid colds and flu, make sure you stop by Olin Health Center, or look in the residence halls in early November for a free "Cold and Flu Survival Pack." Until then make sure you practice safe kissing.

Dr. D.

Compiled by Jenny Toland

Share and discuss “Kissing unlikely to worsen flu, but wash hands” on social media.