Thursday, October 10, 2024

Five favorites

The State News presents five things going on in the world of pop culture that might make your life a little bit better.

1. "Shake That Laffy Taffy" by D4L, yet another Dirty South import that finds a metaphor for your derriere. Although it uses a bastardized interpolation of New Edition's "Candy Girl," you know you can't resist running to the dance floor when it's on. Horribly addictive, but in a good way.

2."Confessions of a Video Vixen" by Karrine Steffans, a memoir/autobiography of this single mother/hip-hop video dancer. Steffans details the good, the bad and the ugly of the inside world of hip-hop's elite. And she's got a nickname we wouldn't dare print in this newspaper. Intrigued? It's at available at most bookstores for $24.95.

3. Back-to-back reruns of "A Different World" on UPN channel 18 at 10 and 10:30 a.m. The misadventures of students at Hillman College still hold their own after all these years. Check out Kadeem Hardison, Jasmine Guy, Jada Pinkett Smith and voiceover queen Cree Summer (currently Foxxxy Love in Comedy Central's "Drawn Together") in their early careers — or in some cases, their only notable career.

4. Last-minute research project? Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org for the English version) has information on everything — and we mean everything — in the world. Seriously, everything.

5. Ria Malaysian & Oriental Restaurant, 2800-D E. Grand River Ave., has a special rice menu with a few delicious combinations. Try the Malaysian Curry Chicken Rice for $6.95.

Share and discuss “Five favorites” on social media.