Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Charity run raises $2.5K for E.L. crisis center

Participants of the eighth annual Pi Mile dart off the start line near Conrad Hall on Saturday morning. The 5K run, hosted by Phi Sigma Pi, was held to benefit the tri-county area's Youth Crisis Intervention Program and Homeless Teen Shelter. Members of the Michigan Youth Challenge Academy, a military high school for at-risk youth, came from Battle Creek to participate in the race.

By Nicholas Richer
Special to The State News

Clear skies and falling leaves greeted 194 runners and walkers who raced through campus on Saturday morning to raise money for a tri-county homeless teen shelter.

The eighth annual Pi Mile, a 5K race sponsored by Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity, raised about $2,500 for Gateway Community Services of East Lansing, which offers a crisis intervention center and homeless shelter for teenagers.

"We realized they really need the help," said Brooke Bator, co-chairman of Phi Sigma Pi's service committee and a Spanish senior. "We wanted to help a smaller charity where the money will actually mean something."

Stefanie Zin, the executive director of Gateway, said the event was not only a good way to get the word out about Gateway, but was also a way to raise crucial funds for important programs.

"We're here to advocate for these youths — to be role models," Zin said. "No one can substitute for a family, but … we try to offer them resources they might not otherwise get."

The center has received less funding from donations and grants recently, Zin said. The nonprofit sector is hurting everywhere as more money is required from donors after recent large-scale disasters, such as the tsunami in southeast Asia and Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, Zin said.

Gateway Community Services' building is in need of major repairs, and even with cost-cutting measures, the teen shelter is only able to operate at half capacity following financial problems during the past few years, Zin said.

Last year, Gateway was forced to terminate its medical center, which had been in operation since the agency started in 1970.

Most of the money raised will also go toward running the shelter, which can house a teenager for up to two years while learning independent living skills, such as looking for a job or staying in school.

"We depend on grants and donations," Zin said. "We are just not getting as much of them as we need."

It's imperative that the teen shelter is saved, Zin said.

"There are other nonprofit medical centers in the tri-county area, but there are no other teen homeless shelters," Zin said.

At the race on Saturday, many runners and walkers came specifically to raise money for the shelter.

The first speed walker to cross the finish line was Andrew Lathrop, a current board member and former director of marketing for Gateway.

"I knew I couldn't win the run, but I figured I might be able to take the walk," said Lathrop, who came to the race not only to be crowned the fastest walker, but also to show support for the agency he's worked at for four years.

"We help a lot of great kids who just happen to have really sad stories," Lathrop said. "Some have lived in situations you think only exist in the movies — living in the streets for long periods or hopping from friend to friend."

With fundraisers like the 5K, Zin said she hopes the agency will get back to full capacity within a year so fewer teens will have to deal with similar situations.

"This event really helps," she said.

Share and discuss “Charity run raises $2.5K for E.L. crisis center” on social media.