Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Student tells of life as 'Muslim'

Last spring, Eastern Michigan University student Zoe Piliafas spent an entire semester dressed as a Muslim woman.

Piliafas, who is of Greek descent, went by the name Zhooda, adopted a Middle Eastern accent and wore a burqa - a dark shroud that covers everything except a woman's eyes. The experiment was part of an independent study project that aimed to discover what life was like underneath the veil.

"We're all guilty of placing judgment on one another," she said. "We have to put ourselves in each other's shoes."

Piliafas spoke about her experience to MSU history Assistant Professor Emine Evered's Women and Islam class Thursday. Evered said she hoped the students would leave with a better understanding of the culture.

"Students can learn whether poor treatment of a woman wearing a burqa is right or wrong," Evered said. "It's still the same person."

Piliafas said she was prompted to take on the project after seeing a picture of a woman wearing a burqa in a newspaper article, and said she saw an immediate change in the way people treated her once she began.

"I felt very lonely, because nobody wanted to talk to me," Piliafas said. "People clearly avoided sitting by me. Professors wouldn't call me when I raised my hand."

The burqa fooled nearly everyone, including professors, classmates and a friend she had known for two years, Piliafas said.

At the end of the semester, Piliafas went before each of her classes and removed the burqa. She said she was alarmed by how differently she was treated once people realized she was an American.

"I almost felt disgusted," Piliafas said. "Whatever I am, I'm always me. "I do think our clothes affect the way we present ourselves to the world, and how people view us."

Piliafas said she received criticism from people on both sides of the issue, but also received praise from Muslim women who were glad to see someone trying to understand their lifestyle.

International relations junior Rachel Elrom, a student in Evered's class, was surprised at how dedicated Piliafas was to undertaking the lifestyle of a Muslim woman.

"It was very interesting to see that someone could be so challenged to want to be in someone else's shoes," Elrom said.

Piliafas said she hopes the presentation brings new ideas to students whose conceptions of Muslim culture were based solely on appearance.

"I hope it starts a discussion," Piliafas said.

Share and discuss “Student tells of life as 'Muslim'” on social media.