Tuesday, October 22, 2024

RHA searches for new vice president after resignation

A Residence Halls Association executive position is open following the resignation of RHA Vice President David Sahlin on Wednesday.

Sahlin has held the position since being elected in March. He cited a lack of time to concentrate on academics as his reason for resigning.

"(It) got to a point where I really needed to look at my classes and my schedule and say, 'Do I have time for this?'" Sahlin said.

Despite stepping down from his executive post, Sahlin said he still plans on remaining part of RHA, possibly as a representative. He said he enjoys working with the student government, and has been a member since his sophomore year.

The vice president's duties include maintaining good relations with RHA assemblies and making sure hall governments are running smoothly. RHA President Kevin Newman said executive positions take up a lot of time.

"The bylaws say it's 20 hours a week, but in reality you're doing more," Newman said. "Everyone understands that. It takes a little bit of extra dedication, a little bit of extra commitment."

Newman said Sahlin's resignation should have little affect on student affairs.

"We'll delegate his duties to other members until a new vice president is in place," Newman said.

Nominations for a new vice president were planned for RHA's general assembly meeting in Holden Hall on Wednesday and will continue for two weeks, followed by elections, Newman said.

"There'll be nominations (Wednesday evening) and at the following general assembly meetings as an item under new business," Newman said. "It won't be a special meeting."

Candidates for vice president must have been RHA representatives for at least five weeks and nominated by another representative, which must be seconded by a different representative. Candidates must be present to accept.

The new vice president will be elected Oct. 12. Candidates will each give a 10-minute speech and answer questions from the general assembly for 15 minutes before voting takes place, Newman said. A simple majority is required to elect a candidate to the position.

Share and discuss “RHA searches for new vice president after resignation” on social media.