Monday, September 30, 2024

Lansing celebration lives in past

By Melissa Kayko
Special to The State News

A Civil War re-enactment, dancing and music were all part of the American Heritage Festival in Lansing on Saturday.

The event was held at the Woldumar Nature Center, 5739 Old Lansing Road on its 188-acre preserve.

The festival featured people demonstrating blacksmithing, spinning thread, quilt-making, lace-making, and apple cider pressing. Children made crafts such as cornhusk dolls, recycled paper, grapevine wreaths, and taper candles by hand.

"We've been coming here ever since she was little," Lansing resident Linda Burcham said as she pointed to one of her grandchildren. "Hands-on learning is what sticks with kids, and they look forward to it every year."

The festival used to be held on a smaller scale, originating from an autumn harvest celebration when the organization was founded in 1966, said Vi Kortge, volunteer receptionist for the Nature Center. It wasn't until five or 10 years ago that it grew with more participants, Kortge said.

Woldumar was designated a Conservation Education Reserve by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources in 1967 and declared a National Environmental Education Landmark in 1971. According to the center's mission statement, they work to "promote educational opportunities to experience our natural environment, and to form an appreciation of our cultural heritage."

"We like to show a variety of entertainment from all cultures," said Trina Taylor, activities coordinator of the American Heritage Event for the past five years. "It gives people a sense of cultural heritage and they walk away with information that they didn't know before."

Some of the people who went to the festival said they enjoyed seeing how people used to live and said it makes them realize how fortunate they are and appreciate where they've come from.

"We really find history fun," Lansing residents Jim and Su Butler said as they stood next to a turkey stew cooking on a traditional Dutch oven. "Participating really is a great opportunity to be someone else and act out a part of history."

Around the main stage of the event, children danced in the crowd to the beat of ethnic music as performers took the stage to show a traditional dance. The demonstrations included groups such as the Mallika African Dancers, Fantasia Folklorico Spanish Dancing Group, Guernsey Highland Dance Group, and the Hubbardston Irish Dance Troupe.

"Be proud of who you are, that's what I always say," said Raul Aguilar, grandfather of one of the dancers of the Spanish Dancing Group. "Too often I see many people lose their heritage."

The Spanish dancers ranged in ages from four to 18 and wore dresses made by their parents.

At the end of the performance, Aguilar hugged one of his granddaughters and said, "Try to maintain your culture and history, so people can see what it's all about.

"If you don't pass it on, nobody will."

Share and discuss “Lansing celebration lives in past” on social media.