Tuesday, October 22, 2024

ASMSU: Sale of alcohol in suites biased

Members of ASMSU, MSU's undergraduate student government, feel that selling alcohol in the suite area of Spartan Stadium is unfair to students and gives more privilege to those who pay extra for season tickets.

"It's ridiculous. It really shows that in life, if you have enough money you could do anything," said Andrew Bell, vice chairperson for external affairs for ASMSU's Student Assembly. "Unfortunately, students who pay thousands of dollars a year in tuition don't get the same respect that alumni do."

Members of the MSU Board of Trustees voted Friday to allow the sale of beer and wine in the suites and club area of the stadium addition for two hours before kickoff.

Student Assembly passed a bill Sept. 8 stating that ASMSU is against the sale of alcohol in the expansion.

The official opinion of the student government comes from the representatives who are expected to stand for their fellow students' opinions, Student Assembly Chairperson Andrew Schepers said.

Members of ASMSU have sought student opinions through classes, residence halls and by talking to those who purchased student tailgate passes from their office, ASMSU's Academic Assembly Chairperson Bob Murphy said.

"We're talking to everybody that we can get ahold of," Murphy said. "Most of our constituents that we have been able to contact feel this way."

Advertising junior Ravi Vora said he disagreed with ASMSU's opinion.

"If (suite ticket holders) are paying that much money, they should have the ability to have alcohol," Vora said.

But zoology senior Beth Kwiatkowski said she can see both sides of the alcohol issue, adding that she feels ASMSU doesn't always represent students well.

"(Suite ticket holders are) paying all that money for a suite, but if it can't be sold elsewhere it's not fair. If everyone can't drink, no one should be able to drink," Kwiatkowski said.

She added that sometimes ASMSU members don't appear to be considering students' concerns when making decisions.

Before ASMSU voted to oppose the alcohol issue, Schepers sent a letter to board members expressing his concerns with allowing alcohol in the stadium expansion.

Schepers and Murphy met with trustees Joel Ferguson, Melanie Foster and Colleen McNamara and other university officials to discuss their concerns before Friday's board meeting.

"I gave all the effort I had, but trustees saw it differently," Schepers said. "You represent the best that you can and hope that they do see points in your argument."

Board members listened to the ASMSU representatives' opinions during the meeting, but the trustees did not change their decisions because they were voting shortly afterward, McNamara said.

"Over the couple of weeks, I know people were watching what others had to say about it," she said. "There's all kinds of places that each of us gets input on different issues."

Schepers said he plans to continue opposing the board's decision.

"(The trustees are) still open to conversation and haven't closed the book on it," he said. "We are still going to give our responses back (at the) next meeting and also continue the dialogue and discussion."

Staff writer Ethan Conley contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “ASMSU: Sale of alcohol in suites biased” on social media.