Tuesday, October 22, 2024

New site offers forum for fans

The topics of campus, sports, East Lansing and anything else are all possible forums people can post replies to on the new MSU forum site, www.msufans.com.

And you don't have to be from MSU to log in.

Advertising and sociology senior Justin Sailor created the site two months ago and said there are already more than 500 users.

"I was basically looking for a summer project," he said. "I wasn't really sure how it would turn out."

Some of the forums on other sites he visited didn't have worthwhile conversation, Sailor said.

"I thought it would be good to make a Web forum with a little more quality, deeper conversation," he said. "(The site has) any topic from squirrels on campus to the color of the water in the fountain near the library."

There are more than 130 topics in five different forums.

He also created the site to include everyone who was interested in MSU, not just people who are directly involved with the university.

"It's striking to me how huge a community MSU is with alumni and nationwide (affiliates)," Sailor said. "Rather than just looking to the students, it's open to a fan who has no affiliation with MSU."

Another MSU related forum site is www.allmsu.com, which is only available to MSU students.

The Web site also includes dating profiles, classified ads, professor ratings and apartment ratings.

Aware of the competition's site, Sailor said he didn't agree with the students-only approach and the content of some of the posts.

"It seemed elementary, the conversations they had," he said.

The creator of www.allmsu.com, Ryan Shaltry, couldn't be reached for comment.

Sailor said creating www.msufans.com wasn't difficult. He said the software he used is available and ready for use from the Internet.

"I downloaded the basic template and manipulated it as much as I wanted," he said.

Sailor said he hasn't received a lot of feedback from users - partly because the site is so new.

"There's been a few who said they liked it and a few who said there were too many topics," Sailor said.

Sailor monitors many of the forums and said he is satisfied with the replies that have been posted.

"The actual content people are posting seems to be in line with what I had in mind," he said. "So far, it's lived up to the standard."

Share and discuss “New site offers forum for fans” on social media.