Monday, September 30, 2024

Marshall man gets 8-20 years

A 19-year-old Marshall, Mich., man was sentenced on Wednesday in the Ingham County Circuit Court to serve eight to 20 years in prison for the murder of an Okemos man.

Alexander Hamil, who came to East Lansing to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with friends, stole an MSU service vehicle while under the influence of alcohol and crashed it into another car on Grand River Avenue, killing John Allen Hawkins, 46.

He was charged with second-degree murder and will have to pay $43,381 in restitution.

"There is pain and hurt on both families," 30th Circuit Court Judge Beverly Nettles-Nickerson said. "There is no term of life or parole period that is going to bring the victim back."

Frank Reynolds, Hamil's defense attorney, said Hamil's age played a role in his sentencing.

"It is sad to stand here with a good 19-year-old," he said. "One family lost a father, and another will lose a son for a short period."

Members of Hawkins' family prepared written statements that were read aloud to the court. Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Kollette Bordeaux-Borruso read the statements on behalf of the family.

"I am not his judge, but I want him to be held accountable for his actions," Bordeaux-Borruso read from a statement written by Hawkins' sister.

Another statement written by Hawkins' mother described her son's life, telling the court about his devotion to his children.

"I am 74 years old and never thought my child would go before me," Bordeaux-Borruso read. "He was innocent that day on his way to work. It is unfortunate he is gone - nothing but my son being alive could take the pain away from my heart and soul."

When speaking on his own behalf, Hamil briefly addressed the judge and Hawkins' family.

"I want to say how incredibly sorry I am," he said. "It would have been better if I died than Mr. Hawkins. I pray you will be able to forgive me someday."

The courtroom was packed with Hamil's family and friends - a stack of papers was passed around for people to keep in touch with him while he is incarcerated.

"Mr. Hawkins was the victim of Mr. Hamil's choices," Bordeaux-Borruso said. "Alexander Hamil has a second chance. Part of that process must include a prison sentence. There is no person in this court who is going to leave happy."

Share and discuss “Marshall man gets 8-20 years” on social media.