Tuesday, October 22, 2024

300 volunteers to flush Spartan Stadium toilets

New plumbing to be tested in Aug.

In the middle of August, 300 volunteers will enter every bathroom in the new Spartan Stadium to simultaneously flush every toilet and turn on every faucet.

This test, called a "super flush," is to make sure the plumbing can handle an entire stadium full of spectators using the facilities.

It has been standard practice to test new structures ever since Notre Dame's newly renovated stadium flooded during its first game in 1997, MSU Associate Director for Media Relations John Lewandowski said.

During Notre Dame's home opener against Georgia Tech, the plumbing could not take the overwhelming needs of the crowd, causing the stadium's concourses to flood; thus the concession stands could no longer sell beverages, he said.

It occurred during a television time-out as fans flocked to the bathrooms.

The stadium's plumbing and the super flush are being coordinated by Keebler Plumbing & Heating in Lansing.

The super flush will make sure the new plumbing can handle the demands of the new stadium, Lewandowski said.

"They're trying to simulate a halftime," he said. "This is a chance to expose any design or structural errors."

However, he said they don't expect anything to go wrong.

During the super flush, the plumbing crew will monitor the main line to make sure the pressure does not get too low. Toilets use pressure to gauge when to stop filling, and extremely low pressure can cause them to fill continuously.

Keebler's plumbing crew is not the only one working hard and performing tests; all of the crews working on the stadium are under the gun, Lewandowski said.

"This is a team project," he said. "Their job and their function is no less and no more important than any others."

In addition to the new toilets, Associate Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Greg Ianni said the next project will be to restore the upper east side of the stadium to increase the seating capacity from 72,027 to 75,005 people.

Staff writer J. Ryan Mulcrone contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “300 volunteers to flush Spartan Stadium toilets” on social media.