Monday, September 30, 2024

Program encourages commute without cars

Gene Townsend, president of the Mid-Michigan Environmental Action Council, mans one of the Smart Commute checkpoints at Kinawa Middle School, 1900 Kinawa Drive in Okemos. The checkpoints provided information on commuting, food and giveaways to encourage people to find alternate transportation to work.

East Lansing resident Amy Moore planned early Monday and packed up her two children for their morning commute to work. Rather than hopping into the car, they rode their bicycles to work and school.

As part of the first weeklong Smart Commute '05, in its first year, local residents are encouraged to try alternative methods for getting to work - either by bicycle, carpool, bus or walking.

Moore said she was surprised at the success she had on her first morning commute by bicycle.

"It was easier than I thought it would be," Moore said. "It only added a half-hour onto my morning routine. It usually takes me 45 minutes by car."

Smart Commute was coordinated by the Mid-Michigan Environmental Action Council, or Mid-MEAC.

"I think a lot of people are going to realize that they have options other than just driving to get around," said Jessica Yorko, spokeswoman for Smart Commute and a member of the council.

The Smart Commute event provides participants with safe routes to get to work, and checkpoints along the way. There they can get more information about routes, Beaner's coffee and food - which is provided by the East Lansing Food Co-op.

"It's not a real high-energy event. It's an individual thing, and we just give (participants) assistance along the way," said Gene Townsend, president of the Mid-MEAC, who patiently waited at the checkpoint at Kinawa Middle School, 1900 Kinawa Drive, in Okemos on Monday morning.

There were many reasons the local organization started the Smart Commute event.

Yorko said carpooling and bike riding can help to cut down on air pollution and global warming.

And Yorko also said there are health benefits.

"Even if (participants) walk to the bus stop, it's more exercise than just getting into their car," she said.

About 80 people registered online to participate in the event including commissioners from the East Lansing Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission, Yorko said.

"Well, (Moore) brought it to our attention and thought it would be a nice thing for all of the commissioners to do," said John Goddeeris, an MSU economics professor and commissioner with the East Lansing group.

"I felt we should lead by example and encourage our citizens to participate in an event like this," Moore said.

The event was initially advocated by Lucinda Means, who was the director of the League of Michigan Bicyclists. Means, who died unexpectedly late last month at age 49, left her legacy and mark on the production of Smart Commute.

"It's sad for us because (Means) was one of the people who was pushing for this for so long," Yorko said. "It was so tragic because this was something she wanted, and she was unable to see this happen."

Remembrance services will take place at the Capitol on Thursday, with a parade and speeches.

To register for Smart Commute or for more information about the remembrance services, visit midmeac.org/smartcommute.html.

Share and discuss “Program encourages commute without cars” on social media.