Monday, September 30, 2024

Art festival boosts E.L. business

East Lansing businesses in the downtown district say every year they see profits increase during the weekend of the East Lansing Art Festival - and this year was no exception.

The festival took place between M.A.C. Avenue and Abbott Road in downtown East Lansing on Saturday and Sunday. A food court filled with local businesses and others was located in the parking lot off Albert Avenue.

East Lansing downtown businesses saw business boom when spectators and artists traveled to the fair from throughout the state and parts of the country.

"We had a line down the hall the whole day, it was a mess," said Melting Moments manager Laney McCormick. "It's usually so busy, we're not allowed to ask for the weekend off."

Melting Moments, 313 E. Grand River Ave., had its doors open two hours earlier than regular business hours, with several ice cream stands set up throughout downtown.

McCormick said Melting Moments profits reached 10 times its regular business profits, adding the figures are due in part to the ice cream shop's prime location.

A marketing survey produced in 2000 and led by festival planners said patrons of the city's art festival that year spent more than $1 million dollars, said festival coordinator Leslie Donaldson.

"We are doing a new marketing survey this year, so we hope to update those figures," she said.

Steve & Barry's University Sportswear manager Joe Orlowski said the location of his store, 515 E. Grand River Ave., sees an increase in traffic, just not the same boom that spots closer to the art fair see.

"The art festival seems to start a little west," he said. "It seems like it got pushed away," adding that he tried to get people to come toward his side of Grand River Avenue by selling items outside the front of the store.

"We have a lot to offer on the 500 block - from Division to Bailey," he said, adding Steve & Barry's profits still doubled compared to regular sales.

Other business such as, Peking Express, 603 E. Grand River Ave., and Lou & Harry's Five Star Deli, 245 Ann St., were some of the local businesses busy serving festival attendees in the food court.

Even though the city has recently faced several budget cuts, festival plans were not affected by the reductions.

Donaldson said more than 100 sponsors and booth rental fees made the event possible.

Artists and exhibitors paid a rental booth fee of $200 for both days, Donaldson said.

"We operate this event as a community event," she said. "We don't make any money off this event."

Donaldson said 80 percent of the fair consists of residents from Ingham, Eaton and Clinton counties, while the other 20 percent are people who come from two to three hour drives away.

Share and discuss “Art festival boosts E.L. business” on social media.