Tuesday, October 22, 2024

World Year of Physics celebrates Einstein's scientific discoveries

A century ago, little was known about the world of physics. In 1905, Albert Einstein changed the way people viewed the science of matter and energy when he published five papers challenging previous scientific thought.

The theory of relativity, atomic physics, the photoelectric effect, quantum physics and the equation E=MC² revolutionized physics, said physics Professor Bernard Pope.

One hundred years later, Einstein's discoveries are being commemorated with various celebrations and activities across the globe and at MSU. The International Union of Pure and Applied Physics declared the year 2005 as the World Year of Physics. Several communities have taken action and created events about physics.

"(Einstein) really started modern physics," Pope said. "When I teach introductory physics at MSU, we teach classical physics up until 1905. Everything after that is modern physics."

World Year of Physics Project Coordinator Vinaya Sathyasheelappa, of the American Physical Soc said the yearlong celebration will help educate students of all ages.

"We're incorporating physics as a whole with a celebration of Einstein's five papers and other things," Sathyasheelappa said. "There are projects for middle schools and high schools, a college project and a general project for the public."

Locally, the Abrams Planetarium is showing "Universe of Dr. Einstein." The presentation explores Einstein's theory of black holes and the Earth's rotation.

Einstein's theories still can be applied to modern thought, Pope said.

"The photoelectric effect, which Einstein won his Nobel Prize for, is the observation that when you shine light on certain metals it produces electricity," he said. "Garage-door openers and scanners at supermarket checkouts are examples of this theory as they require the reflection of light and electrical scanning."

Einstein's papers contribute much to everyday life, physics senior Jonathon Shanks said.

"1905 really marks the modern era of physics with Einstein's theories and confirmation of the atomic theory," Shanks said. "He showed the way that science touches everyday life. It's amazing."

Share and discuss “World Year of Physics celebrates Einstein's scientific discoveries” on social media.