Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Board approves dorm price hike

It will cost students an extra $286 to live in residence halls next school year.

Those who choose to reside in University Apartments will have to pay either $29 or $32 more per month depending on the number of bedrooms.

The MSU Board of Trustees approved the price hike on Friday, along with two parking and road construction projects.

Officials said the 5.25 percent increase in room and board will provide funding for long-term renovations, yearly maintenance and the rising cost of MSU utilities, such as fuel and natural gas.

"What we're trying to do is have as minimum as possible increase each year," said Chuck Gagliano, assistant vice president of Housing and Food Services. "We're building our reserves over time."

Gagliano said MSU still will offer the lowest rates among the 15 public universities in Michigan.

South Complex residents who experienced fender benders in the parking lot off Service Road will see a newly designed and resurfaced lot in the fall.

Trustees also approved a revamp on Friday for lots 82 and 83, more commonly known to students as F Lot. The repaired lot will have about the same number of parking spaces, give or take 20-30, officials said.

"It's time to be redone, is one thing, but we also have a sizable number of accidents," said Fred Poston, vice president of Finance and Operations.

The parking lot, located across the railroad tracks from Holden Hall, currently is designed with perpendicular spots and long aisles that run between two entrances.

Changes would include the creation of angled spots and one-way lanes, much like those found in department store parking lots.

Dennis Hansen, a construction superintendent, said the new design should help increase visibility for drivers.

Improvements to Middlevale Road, the main street through Spartan Village, also will be made this summer.

The current road is cheaply built, cracked and deteriorating, Hansen said.

The project is set to be completed in six phases and is budgeted for about $856,000. Hansen said the project should be completed before the fall.

"We don't know what the weather will be this summer. We have to build this road in a very limited period of time," Hansen said.

Share and discuss “Board approves dorm price hike” on social media.