Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Main Library creates nook for children, aids parents' studying

Alena Patsenka, a psychology graduate student, studies on Monday next to a new area on the first floor of the Main Library set aside as a children's nook. The nook was created as a space that students could bring their children to while studying or researching.

In hopes of giving student parents time to study, a new addition has been made to MSU's Main Library - a children's nook.

The nook opened during spring break and was created when students from the Student Parents on a Mission, or SPOM, brought up the idea to library administrators.

"We were approached by a student group, and they made the argument that there was no place for students who have small children to study," said Jim Hensley, an administrative assistant for MSU Libraries and coordinator of the project.

The project was funded by donations from Lori Strom, coordinator of the Family Resource Center, the library and students from SPOM.

Hensley said there is a sampling of books for children as young as toddlers to as old as early teens. There also are toys for the younger children, and a computer for the older children.

Students bringing children to the nook are required to stay and watch them, Hensley said.

"I think this has been a positive," Hensley said. "But we want folks to understand that it is not a day care where they can drop their children off."

As a member of SPOM, English senior Allena Tapia helped plan and put together the nook.

She said she was glad she was involved in the project and hopes it helps student parents like herself.

"We need the same amount of support and study time as other students, but you don't want to stick your kid in day care," Tapia said.

Strom said the nook is great for student parents because it allows them to get their schoolwork done and spend time with their children at the same time.

"If they can have their children by their sides and get their work done, it is a win-win situation," Strom said.

Tapia said being able to stay with her child also allows her to save money by not having to pay a baby-sitter, and she also can keep her child entertained.

"When I study there, it is possible for my daughter to play on the computer. She loves the library and loves books," Tapia said. "I don't have to shove her off to a baby-sitter."

Strom said she hopes the nook not only helps student parents get their studying done, but helps raise awareness for the different lifestyle student parents have.

"This is something that will make life easier for students with children," she said.

"Students who are more traditional without children will see that there are students with other responsibilities and that they, too, need support. They, too, can be successful."

Share and discuss “Main Library creates nook for children, aids parents' studying” on social media.