Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Group carries cross for Easter

Christians say act marks holiday, celebrates Jesus

University Christian Outreach member, Mark Archibald clutches the Bible and prays with other UCO members near Sparty, while an about 7-foot wooden cross rests on the statue's base. After the prayer, group members carried the cross on campus.

With an about 7-foot wooden cross to bear, students from University Christian Outreach traveled along the Red Cedar River in celebration of the spirit of Easter.

Today is Good Friday, which marks the beginning of the Easter holiday, the holiest time of the year for Christians. People of the Christian faith remember the death of Jesus and celebrate the belief that he was resurrected two days later.

Group members started their journey at the Sparty statue and took turns carrying the 75-pound cross while singing Psalms. The group stopped to read passages from the Bible along its route.

Accounting senior Peter Giles said Easter is about celebrating new life and Christ.

"The event is an outward expression of our faith in Christ as a visible presence on campus," Giles said. "It's symbolic."

Senior pastor Fred Fritz of the University Lutheran Church, said it's important for people to find a personal connection with their faith.

"We always encourage our members to live out their faith in their daily lives," Fritz said.

Nick Dembrowski, a Western Michigan University senior, was touring the campus when he came across the group at the beginning of its trek.

"It's pretty bold, especially on a college campus when Christianity can sometimes be looked down upon," Dembrowski said. "Just that they're standing out for their faith and doing something to communicate their faith is bold."

Dimondale resident Marilyn Greathouse, 20, said the group first carried the cross through campus six years ago and looks forward to the event each year.

"It can be a very intense spiritual experience," Greathouse said.

Group coordinator Mark Archibald said the group started the cross-carrying tradition to both mark the time of the year and to reach out to the MSU community.

"It's easy for people to forget what Easter is all about," Archibald said, adding that the group gets mixed reactions as they pass. "Most students mind their own business, but some join in the conversation."

Chemistry junior Marc Coussens came across the group as it made its way to Wells Hall. He said it was a good idea for the group to remind the campus of the true meaning of Easter.

"A lot of times people get carried away with the holiday being about gifts or candy," Coussens said. "It certainly draws attention to the religious aspects."

Share and discuss “Group carries cross for Easter” on social media.