Monday, September 30, 2024

Flyers raise awareness about riots

With both MSU basketball teams advancing to the Sweet 16, university and city officials are focusing on raising awareness about responsible celebration through flyers and meetings.

The flyers, detailing the consequences of participating in or watching a riot and publicly consuming alcohol, were put together by Olin Health Center and distributed throughout the city and on campus.

"We don't want people to think the norm is that everyone gets drunk and is out of control," said Dennis Martell, Olin Health Education Services Coordinator.

The flyers use information from a 2003 survey of social and academic life, conducted by MSU's Institute for Public Policy and Social Research. According to the flyer, a riot can be defined as a group of four or more people involved in illegal activities such as vandalism or destroying property, and even standing on the sidelines is a crime.

"We know a majority of MSU students watch the Spartans, and while watching, some will decide to drink," Martell said. "We want students to not be harmed and to party responsibly."

In addition to the flyers, officials from East Lansing, area law enforcement agencies, the university and area landlords met to discuss problems that might arise from student behavior.

"I think we have turned the corner in this city on learning how to celebrate in ways that aren't destructive," Deputy City Manager Jean Golden said. "I have great faith in the young people that are at the university these days."

At the East Lansing City Council meeting, members asked East Lansing police Chief Lou Muhn what was being done to prepare for this weekend.

"We are preparing to have adequate staffing out," he said Tuesday night.

Local law enforcement officials would not confirm the number of police that will be present on the streets, but said they will have additional people on staff and that they are trained to deal with the most extreme situations.

Police also met with area landlords.

"We certainly want them to get the word out to their tenants to celebrate, but not in excess," Muhn said.

Colin Cronin, area director for student properties at DTN Management Co., said there will be an increase in patrols throughout the company's properties, including the Cedar Village area.

The East Lansing Police Department has also met with fraternities, sororities and bar owners to discuss the health and safety issues outlined by the flyers, East Lansing police Capt. Juli Liebler said.

"A majority of students understand the importance of their actions," she said. "There are a few that make the rest of us look bad."

She said the department also focuses on the legal issues of students' actions. Penalties for the crimes they commit might lead to arrests and felony charges or removal from the university.

University officials said they are not highly concerned that an incident will occur, but they want to be prepared.

"We have no indication that anything is going to happen, but these disturbances happen all over the country," said Ginny Haas, director of community relations for MSU.

The key is prevention and staying safe, MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said.

"If we win one of these games, we can show other universities it's OK to win and celebrate responsibly," she said. "If something does happen, we are prepared to protect life and property."

Share and discuss “Flyers raise awareness about riots” on social media.