Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Student parent asks for seat on assembly

Student Parents On a Mission co-Chairperson Melissa Alsobrooks told student government leaders at the group's Feb. 10 meeting that student parents on campus are in need of adequate recognition and support from ASMSU.

"The members on the assemblies don't think like parents," she said. "That makes it hard to get help on issues that (student parents) are concerned about, and it would be nice to have a focus on nontraditional students."

To make sure the concerns of student parents were addressed, Alsobrooks asked assembly members for a seat on the student assembly.

But Feb. 9 was the deadline to amend ASMSU's constitution, so Alsobrooks' request was turned down. On that day, members could have changed the group's constitution to include another seat, but Alsobrooks was a day late, said Student Assembly Internal Vice Chairperson Patricia Smith.

Although her request was turned down, Alsobrooks still made a plea to the assembly to think about the concerns of student parents.

At the meeting, Alsobrooks said housing, legal services and childcare assistance are not adequate for student parents on campus.

Alsobrooks, the mother of a 2-year-old child, said the issue of student parents having separate housing is imperative.

"The lifestyle of a typical student is completely different from a student parent," she said. "(In Spartan Village), they drive their cars faster through the parking lots and play loud music through the night."

She also suggested ASMSU should propose a tax incentive, such as the University of Michigan's, to assist student parents with childcare.

"U-M students pay a dollar tax and the provost matches that by $10," she said. "That amounts to $750,000 a year."

Student Assembly Chairperson Andrew Schepers said the tax idea was a good one.

"That's something that we've been looking into," he said. "We're looking to help in any way, shape or form."

Although Alsobrooks will not have a seat on the assembly anytime soon, Schepers said her voice was heard by the assembly.

Schepers said Alsobrooks had some good ideas. The assemblies want to reach their diverse constituency, and as time goes on, the student government will look to have "viable services" that are beneficial to all undergraduates, he said.

Share and discuss “Student parent asks for seat on assembly” on social media.