Sunday, October 6, 2024

MSU officials offer tips for a safe vacation

Giant foam dice bounced across a board symbolizing the United States as part of the "Play Hard, Play Safe and Play Again" game Tuesday in Shaw Hall's cafeteria.

The game was part of the annual Spring Break Safety Fair coordinated by the Women's Resource Center, or WRC, with the help of Olin Health Center, which runs the game.

"I think the most important thing is just a reminder you need to protect yourself on spring break," said Olin health educator Jon Kermiet. Kermiet has helped run the event since it was designed in 2000.

The fair was organized to inform students of some of the dangers they might face while traveling during break.

The WRC will hold the event during dining hours in campus cafeterias during the next few weeks.

The fair will be held again at 4:45 p.m. Thursday in Brody Hall's cafeteria. The event will continue on Feb. 28 in Wonders Hall and March 2 in Holmes Hall, beginning at 4:45 p.m. both days.

During the fair, students went to some of the six informational booths set around the game board. Each booth gave out safety information and play money. Students used the money and safety tips to play the game.

At the end of the game students could turn in the money for prizes ranging from condoms and first aid kits to a "Sexual Etiquette 101" book, Kermiet said.

Kermiet said the Olin Health Center booth gave out information on sexual health, road travel safety and alcohol.

"Unfortunately, alcohol plays a major role in the decisions students make on safety," Kermiet said. "It plays a huge role in the instance of sexual assault on campus - it's no different on break."

Other booths were set up by the WRC, Relay For Life, the MSU Self-Defense for Women Program, the MSU Department of Police and Public Safety and the Sexual Assault Crisis and Safety Education Program.

Michelle Harkins, a self defense program facilitator, said it is important for students to learn more about effective ways to protect themselves from assault.

The kinsieology sophomore gave students free whistles on lanyards to use if they are attacked.

"Statistics show the more noise you make, the better chance you have of getting out of danger," Harkins said.

Jodi Hancock, the educational program coordinator for the WRC, said the event is a fun way to get students to think about safety concerns before they leave on break.

"Students plan these trips a long time in advance," Hancock said. "They need to know the risks."

Chemical engineering junior Chris Bunke said although it was good the WRC and the Sexual Assault Crisis Safety Education Program were there to raise awareness, it is a shame that students need to be informed about alcohol safety.

"It's kinda sad they have to do these kind of goofy things to get people to listen," Bunke said.

Share and discuss “MSU officials offer tips for a safe vacation” on social media.