Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Area gyms: IM revamp won't hurt profits

Changes to IM-West will triple membership fees

Kam Behl of Schindler Elevator works in the new weight room at IM Sports-West on Tuesday. The new weight room will have equipment on two floors.

Local gym managers said renovations being made to the IM Sports-West are long overdue, but they're not worried about the competition.

"It's great the school has put money back into the university," said Powerhouse Gym manager Kellee Ostrander. "Compared to other Big Ten universities, the fitness centers on campus aren't what you would expect for a school that size."

Renovations to the center began this summer, and in February, ASMSU gave $50,000 to help pay for new exercise equipment.

The $5.5 million project, which is expected to be completed this summer, will have several types of workouts and machines, said IM Sports Assistant Director Rick McNeil.

"We'll have about 70 pieces of cardiovascular exercise machines such as treadmills or climbers in the mezzanine (or second level)," he said. "And about 40 heavy weight or adjustable exercise pieces on the first floor."

McNeil said the facility has the ability to hold more equipment, but he'll let users decide which machines are of high demand. He also said the facility will have exercise equipment for persons with disabilities.

Along with renovations to the center, the IM will receive two air-conditioned classrooms.

"This is something that everyone doesn't get to see," Sierra said. "A lot of people don't think of our building having academic classroom space."

But the renovations come at a price - passes for access to the IM will be raised from $23 to $75 per semester for students.

But, rates at gyms near campus are higher than the new IM price will be. Currently, a membership at Gold's Gym, 4790 S. Hagadorn Road, costs students $159 per semester. And a student membership at Powerhouse Gym, 435 E. Grand River Ave., runs $300 per year.

Area gym managers said they aren't worried their membership rates will decline.

Mike Foley, owner of Gold's Gym, said the spike in price for the IM passes could deter students. But Foley said he's not concerned about competition.

"We're willing to beat any competitor's price," he said. "We accommodate everybody."

Foley said people will have to weigh their options before they decide which fitness center best satisfies their needs, adding that people will have to worry about issues such as parking at the IM Sports-West.

And Ostrander, of Powerhouse Gym, said because there are thousands of people on and off campus, there will still be a high demand for membership at the gym.

"The (renovated IM Sports-West) will not be able to handle the number of students on campus," she said.

But students said parking isn't as much of a problem as price.

No-preference freshman Melanie Johnson said because the IM has two parking lots out front, parking should not be an issue. She said students will pay more attention to "who has the better price."

"As long as it's cheaper, the (IM Sports-West) should be OK," Johnson said.

Powerhouse Gym member and criminal justice junior Mariusz Mazurek said depending on how the IM Sports-West gym turns out, he'll go back to it. He said after people see the outcome of the renovations and try the facility out, more students will "definitely go there."

"If I could pay a quarter of what I pay now, I would definitely come around," he said. "As long as the hours are competitive with Powerhouse's."

Share and discuss “Area gyms: IM revamp won't hurt profits” on social media.