Sunday, October 6, 2024

Winter sports offer icy workouts

Statistics freshman Jack Urban gingerly skates onto the ice at Munn Ice Arena Tuesday afternoon. Ali Lieckfield, background, a human biology senior, stretches before practicing her figure skating technique. Lieckfield has been skating for 16 years and has competed on MSU's figure skating team for four.

Almost every weekday afternoon, a handful of MSU students take the ice at Munn Ice Arena during the rink's open skate hours and begin their winter workout.

"It's like exercise, but its fun," accounting senior Jake Tech said. "I can't make myself run."

Computer engineering sophomore Jennifer Whiteside said she has been skating her whole life and said her New Year's resolution is to skate every day to get in shape. Whiteside said she likes to snowboard and bike when she looks for alternative ways to stay active.

They've got the right idea, said Jonathan Kermiet, health educator and director of the Life: Rx program at Olin Health Center. During winter months, activity levels drop as students bundle up inside, Kermiet said.

"In general, people feel they can't exercise outside because it is cold," Kermiet said. "But they shouldn't use the cold as an excuse."

Rather than resenting the snow, students should take advantage of it by participating in activities such as skiing, ice skating and snow-shoeing that offer alternatives to warm weather activities, he said.

There are local outdoor recreation facilities, and while some college-age students find their way out to these parks, they are still an unknown resource to many, said Bob Moore, Ingham County Parks Department director.

There are three winter recreation places in the county available, Moore said.

Burchfield Park in Holt which has ski trails, skating trails, ski and skate rentals and a toboggan run.

Lake Lansing Park North in Haslett has ski trails and ski rentals, and Hawk Island Park in Lansing has sledding hills. Each park has a warming lodge with hot chocolate.

Psychology senior Leah Tibbetts said she enjoys skiing occasionally but said she most often runs outside in the snow.

"It's fun to run in the snow," Tibbetts said. "It works your legs."

Tibbetts said her lungs sometimes burn from breathing in the cold air. This is common and should not pose any health threats unless someone has upper respiratory problems and breathing the outdoor air does not cause colds, Kermiet said.

"People will have less colds if their immune system is enhanced by exercise," he said. "In fact, the stuffiness of indoor air can increase the potential for germs."

Coming from an indoor soccer class, journalism junior Dan Thai and astrophysics sophomore Michael Alexander said they prefer to stay inside. The cold weather and the time of day it gets dark outside are factors.

Those who can't stand the cold weather and don't have a class with activities should check a variety of indoor options offered at the intramural buildings on campus, such as indoor soccer, volleyball and wrestling, Kermiet said.

"People need to realize that they need to do it," Kermiet said.

Whatever the activity, it is important to keep in mind the benefits of stress relief, energy and mood enhancement that comes from staying active, Kermiet said.

"People have to look at the winter as a time to switch gears and maybe do something different than they did during the summer months," Kermiet said. "It's just important they remain active."

Share and discuss “Winter sports offer icy workouts” on social media.