Monday, September 30, 2024

Restaurant expands, relocates

Charlie Duong, owner of Peking Express, sits in his restaurant at 611 E. Grand River Ave. on Tuesday. After 18 years in his location a few doors down, Duong reopened at this new location on Oct. 31. Duong decided to move to the new location to expand, but also because of the proposed Bailey project, which will turn a section of commercial property on Bailey Street, where Peking Express used to be located, into condominiums and retail space.

A local restaurant has moved to a larger space a few feet away as East Lansing officials discuss a plan to redevelop its old location.

Peking Express, 611 E. Grand River Ave., opened in its new location on Oct. 31, after more than a week of being closed for remodeling, owner Charlie Duong said.

The new spot allows the restaurant more indoor seating, front and back entrances and a location not far from where it was formerly housed, at 603 E. Grand River Ave., Duong said.

"(The old space) was too small for us," Duong said. "We wanted to have more space for the customers."

At the new location, there are at least twice as many tables.

"It's more comfortable here," Duong said.

Developers with Corey Partnership are looking to redevelop the buildings at 601-603 E. Grand River Ave. - the former location of Peking Express - and 106-116 Bailey St. into a four-story multi-use project involving condominiums and apartments on the top three floors and retail on the bottom level.

East Lansing City Council deferred the plan in October until its Nov. 16 meeting.

Duong said he discussed moving to the new location with his landlord, Cron Management.

"He (Douglas Cron) gave me a very reasonable rent, so I could afford to open my business here," he said. "I think it will be better. More people can bring their friends and family and sit together."

Jim van Ravensway, East Lansing director of planning and community development, said he anticipates no problems with some of the businesses in the proposed development relocating.

"It's the same location, really," van Ravensway said. "It's just a different space."

David Krause, a developer with Corey Partnership and Cron Management, said he is as excited over the move as Duong is, adding that the new development was not a main reason for the move.

"(Duong) would have been happy with the move irregardless," Krause said. "He gets a chance to expand, and he has a chance for people to sit down."

Either way, the restaurant's new location is close enough where people will still recognize it, Krause said.

"That's the neat thing - he's just right next door to where he was," he said. "Isn't that the dream of every business? You want to expand. You want to grow.

"You want to make some more money for your family."

Share and discuss “Restaurant expands, relocates” on social media.