Monday, September 30, 2024

Protest denounces Prop. 2

No-preference freshman Kate Walquist, right, Japanese and marketing junior Brian Casey, center, and Japanese freshman Jessica Storrison, left, protest the passage of Proposal 2 in front of the Capitol.

About 100 angry and confused protesters stood on the steps of the Capitol on Wednesday night with signs that read "What is wrong with wanting equality," and "How many people have to die for us to have equal rights."

The event was a demonstration by protesters voicing their disapproval of the passing of Proposal 2, which will amend the state constitution to define the union between one man and one woman as the only agreement recognized as a marriage or similar union.

The protest was organized by Rally for Equality, a group of Haslett High School students who said they want equality for everyone.

"People should be free to make their own choices," said Haslett High School sophomore Ashley Nalett, the organizer of the event. "There should be separation of state and religion and there's not."

Gay marriage was banned in Michigan before the proposal passed, which is why protesters say the amendment is unnecessary. However, protesters said they were upset about more than just the passing of the proposal. They said they were upset about the effects it will have on their families.

"It deprives my son of benefits my partner may incur through her job," said MSU psychology junior Rachel Gray.

Although the amendment will ban only gay marriage and similar unions, some people think everyone will be affected.

"It discriminates against all people," said Penny Gardner, executive assistant for Michigan Equality. "Whether you're gay or not, you are affected, because our constitution now includes discrimination against a class of people."

In addition to feeling discriminated against, protesters said the amendment makes them feel inferior.

"Our relationship isn't respected," Gray said. "And it promotes violence against us."

Protesters' cries were echoed by the music of the punk band Versificators. The group sang short songs titled "We Don't Want to Fight," and "Thinking of You Dying" to criticize the legislation, while the lead singer wore a shirt that said "Jesus is my boyfriend."

Supporters of Proposal 2 said the new amendment will protect marriage at a time when it is threatened.

"The people of Michigan have spoken very strongly and very clearly. They want the institution of marriage to remain only between a man and a woman," said Gary Glenn, the president of the American Family Association of Michigan, in a previous interview with The State News.

Share and discuss “Protest denounces Prop. 2” on social media.