Monday, September 30, 2024

Firefighters, officers back candidates

On the main road into downtown Jackson, a large cardboard sign on the door of a red fire engine house reads, "Just Say NO to Republicans ... Vote Kerry."

The station house is no longer used by the Jackson Fire Department - it's a private residence. But local police and fire unions are weighing in with their own endorsements of political candidates.

The bright yellow T-shirts of Firefighters for Kerry seen in televised rallies are one visible example of unions' support, said Brian Thurston, assistant chief for the Jackson Fire Department.

One of the unions Jackson firefighters belong to is the International Association of Firefighters, which has been "very, very strong" in backing Democratic presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry this year, Thurston said.

But area departments remain mum on political issues.

"We are an independent body that's nonpartisan," East Lansing police Capt. Juli Liebler said. "We remain independent and we serve whoever's elected."

Many East Lansing and MSU police officers are members of the Fraternal Order of Police.

The association is supporting President Bush, said Tom Krug, executive director for the fraternal order's Lansing lodge. He said unions should make endorsements even if the departments stay nonpartisan.

"It's important for us to stand behind candidates that have shown a strong law enforcement background," Krug said.

That means their endorsements span the political spectrum, said Kenneth Grabowski, legislative director for the Police Officers Association of Michigan headquarters in Redford. The association has 1,200 members statewide.

"We don't just endorse one party, that's stupid," Grabowski said. "We generally try to make the choices our local affiliates would like us to endorse."

Unions aren't the final word in officers' opinions, however. Thurston said unions don't always reflect views in the stations. Some, such as the Command Officers Association of Michigan, only represent certain positions within departments.

In East Lansing, the Fraternal Order of Police represents dispatchers and security guards.

Grabowski said he confers with East Lansing police officers and department leaders to make sure their endorsements don't conflict. He said they agree 99 percent of the time.

This year, the Police Officers Association of Michigan is endorsing President Bush.

"In 3 1/2 years we have not been attacked, so somebody's been doing something right," Grabowski said. "If terrorists are blowing up your house, the contracts and pensions - none of that means anything."

Thurston said other unions were more concerned with a broader definition of community safety than terrorism.

"When people get really down and dirty, it's personal - it's health care, pension, staffing, safety," Thurston said. "It's more than just issues of terrorism - it's everyday staffing on our streets."

Share and discuss “Firefighters, officers back candidates” on social media.