Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Artist to speak on technology for McPherson series

Engineer's use of art, science focus of presentation

A black mask that collects dirt and monitors air quality while someone travels around a city is the newest of Natalie Jeremijenko's inventions.

The mask is only one of the pieces of art Jeremijenko will discuss on Thursday night as part of her lecture "Teaching New Dogs Old Tricks: New Technology Design and Activism."

Her speech is part of McPherson Professors, funded by the M. Peter and Joanne M. McPherson Endowed Professor for the Understanding of Science.

Nicholas Mercuro, professor in residence at the MSU College of Law and who is on the committee that helps to pick the McPherson Professors, said the committee picks a variety of people every year to deliver the speeches to MSU students.

"They're all involved in science and have an interest in getting non-science students interested in science," Mercuro said.

Jeremijenko, who received her bachelor's degree in neuroscience and biochemistry and her doctorate in computer science, describes herself as an artist and engineer who combines technology and art.

She said much of her work is concerned with the social changes that result from technological improvement.

"I'm specifically interested in the cultural opportunities technological change provides," Jeremijenko said. "When you redesign technology you redesign how people participate in various activities."

Jeremijenko also has created other public experiments such as planting genetically cloned trees around the San Francisco area.

"Experiments that are done in public reveal many ways evidence can be interpreted, it's not just in a lab," Jeremijenko said.

"By doing a public experiment what we do is engage and appreciate the power of diverse interpretations, particularly the many complex interactions of political issues."

Jeremijenko said the masks are a way for people to be more directly involved in society and with cultural issues.

"People have a direct way to monitor air quality changes and they have evidence of that, they're no longer relying on a (Environmental Protection Agency) report," Jeremijenko said.

"Once people have their own evidence, they are much more likely to have an opinion."

MSU President M. Peter McPherson said although he doesn't pick the speakers, he gives suggestions about who he would like to see speak.

"A liberal arts education isn't complete without a foundation of science and math," McPherson said.

"The way the world is, science is an integral part of virtually everything."

Share and discuss “Artist to speak on technology for McPherson series” on social media.