Monday, September 30, 2024

Union troops take Lansing

Brian Kennedy, a Civil War reenactor, repairs his pistol on Saturday at the Michigan Library and Historical Center in Lansing. Throughout the day, reenactors spoke about how the 4th Michigan Infantry contributed throughout the Civil War.
By Gabrielle Russon
Special for The State News

Covered wagons, hoop dresses and Union soldiers were scattered around the parking lot at the Michigan Library and Historical Center in Lansing on Saturday.

The event, which commemorated Civil War history, was part of the Civil War Saturday festivities for Family History Month.

During Civil War Saturday, reenactors displayed weapons used in battle and gave firing demonstrations. The day was organized by the Michigan Department of History, Arts, and Libraries.

Battle Creek resident John Liebrandt has participated in war reenactments for 25 years.

"I've been interested in the Civil War ever since I was a kid," he said.

His love for history and the Civil War enabled him to travel across the United States to participate in reenactments.

Liebrandt also earned impressive Hollywood credentials by appearing in the movies "Glory," "Gettysburg" and "Gods & Generals."

Others, such as 17-year-old Ellen Meersdom, attended the events for more personal reasons.

"My great-great-great-grandfather fought in the 4th Infantry in Michigan," the Lansing high school senior said.

Meersdom's ancestor passed down a priceless heirloom from his war experience - an authentic Confederate flag used in battle.

"We gave it back to the state of Virginia," Ellen said.

Sandra Clark, director of the Michigan Library and Historical Center, 702 W. Kalamazoo St. in Lansing, explained the events were intended to get families interested in genealogical research.

Clark said Civil War Saturday gave people an opportunity to dig deeper into their family history.

While the day promoted history and served as a useful tool to learn about ancestors, it also showcased Michigan's poignant role during the Civil War.

Clark described how Michigan was crucial to the Union's war efforts. Michigan troops fought in a majority of battles during the four-year war.

When the Michigan soldiers marched into Washington, D.C., Abraham Lincoln was quoted as saying, "Thank God for Michigan."

The Michigan Historical Center now hosts an impressive collection of battle flags that Michigan soldiers had collected.

Following in the footsteps of their fellow Michiganians, Durand resident Lorna Mitchell associates herself as a civilian with the 4th Michigan Infantry. Nearly 50 other reenactors joined Lorna in representing the original infantry, which initially started fighting in June 1861.

The reenactors travel to various Civil War events and group together with other companies to recreate battles. Since their formation in 1995, men wear wool Union soldier uniforms while the women dress in long hoop-skirt dresses to portray civilian women. Some reenactors spend as much as $900 to be dressed in authentic Civil War attire.

"There's room in this hobby for anybody who is interested in reenacting and the Civil War," Mitchell said.

Share and discuss “Union troops take Lansing” on social media.