Monday, October 21, 2024

Students question implementation of tailgate guidelines

Students expressed concern about how tailgate restrictions on drinking games and overcrowding at the Wilson tennis courts will be enforced.

Concerned students spoke at a South Complex forum on Thursday to vent their frustrations and give suggestions to student leaders.

The current ban includes beer bongs, roulette wheels, boards or tables to set up a table-top tennis game called "beer pong" and other accessories for drinking games.

Doug Bingham, vice president for the Interfraternity Council and a forum panel member, said drinking games were banned at the rock on Farm Lane and there hasn't been a problem with enforcing it.

"We focus on large structures, like 'Drinko' boards and drinking wheels instead of table games like beer pong and flip cup," he said. "We've had success in keeping drinking games to a minimum."

Dave Coogan, an international relations sophomore and president of Case Hall student government, raised concerns about tailgaters entering residence halls to use rest rooms. He said people still attempt to enter when doors are locked.

ASMSU Association Director Paul Harmon said that because the number of portable toilets was almost doubled for the Illinois game, there was a less of a need to use residence hall rest rooms.

Although he didn't have exact figures, Harmon said there were 15 to 20 more portable toilets by the Wilson tennis courts.

South Complex residents also questioned ASMSU's recommendation to create a five-hour time limit for tailgating before games.

"Aren't people just going to be really lined up at 7 a.m.?" no-preference freshman Matt Campbell said.

Student Assembly Chairperson Andrew Schepers acknowledged the traffic will be a problem.

"We hope that MSU police and parking will continue to help with that," he said. "It's something for now that we are going to have to fight with."

Pat Enos, assistant to the Vice President for Student Affairs Lee June, asked students for input on a lottery system that would give tailgaters a pass to park in the tennis courts. She said a lottery system would rotate between games to give all tailgaters the opportunity to park near the Wilson tennis courts.

But Campbell said it might be difficult to institute.

"You could do it, but where are the rest of the people going to go?" he said.

Williams Hall resident and chemistry senior Thomas Edwards said the focus on drinking games should be changed to campus-wide safety because of recent sexual assaults on campus.

ASMSU and university officials will begin to focus on safety, Schepers said.

Share and discuss “Students question implementation of tailgate guidelines” on social media.