Thursday, October 10, 2024

Rock your body

Welcome back to "Rock Your Body," The State News' fitness and nutrition column. Each week, we hit up our local experts with some questions and pass on their wisdom to you.

But before we get to the goods, we thought we'd tell you a little bit about who'll be giving you advice.

Tom Ostrander: Tom is the owner of Powerhouse Gym, 435 E. Grand River Ave. He is one of Michigan's top amateur bodybuilding competitors. Tom is a personal trainer with experience ranging from professional athletes to stay-at-home moms.

Jim Pivarnik: Jim is a professor of kinesiology and epidemiology. Trained as an exercise physiologist, his specialty is in physical activity and exercise on chronic disease risk. He is also director of MSU's Center for Physical Activity and Health.

This week, we asked:

SN: Is it important to take a vitamin? Which do you recommend? Can they replace vitamins found in food?

Tom: Yes, it is very important to take a multivitamin every day. While it is necessary to eat a balanced diet to get a full array of vitamins and minerals, it is near impossible to get the proper dosages of all nutrients from foods alone.

Let's make one thing clear - your body needs food. Nothing on earth will replace food totally, but everybody, especially active individuals, will benefit from supplementing with a good quality multivitamin.

For seriously active people, I personally recommend Metabolic Response Modifier's Beyond Basics vitamin. For moderately active people I feel the GNC Men's Mega Men and GNC Women's Ultra Mega vitamins are fantastic. For the flat broke, you can't go wrong with Centrum.

Jim: Vitamins are micronutrients that we must ingest to aid in various metabolic processes. Vitamins A, D, E and K are called "fat soluble" vitamins, which means they are stored in our fat cells and, as a consequence, do not have to be ingested on a daily basis.

Unless you rarely or never go out in the sun, vitamin D can be manufactured from our skin in adequate amounts. Vitamins B (there are several B vitamins) and C are water soluble, and must be ingested every day in order to maintain optimal metabolic function.

Since vitamins are considered micronutrients, they are needed in very small quantities compared to other foods. In addition, government recommended daily allowances for vitamins are based on food sources, not supplements. This is due, in part, to the fact that vitamins are absorbed and metabolized more efficiently if they are ingested with food.

If you are eating a balanced diet, most experts do not recommend vitamin supplements. For individuals whose diets might be lacking, a multivitamin with calcium and possibly iron may be recommended.

Given the importance of vitamins to our metabolic processes, many research studies have been conducted to evaluate the role of supplemental vitamins on disease prevention or enhanced recovery from certain disease processes.

SN: How do you get abdominal muscle definition? What are the best ways to train them?

Tom: If I had a nickel for every time I've been asked this I'd be sitting on the beach on my own island by now - literally.

First and foremost, there is no such thing as being able to spot-reduce body fat. You can not expect to lose a certain amount of body fat and pray that it only comes off of your problem areas. In fact, the reason they are problem areas is probably because they are the last places you will lose body fat when trimming up.

There are no magic formulas or secret exercises to a lean midsection. To see your abdominals you must simply have a low enough level of body fat that there is nothing covering the abs.

Don't get me wrong, any and all ab training is good. You can actually better build stronger abdominals from indirect work than you can from direct work. This doesn't mean shy away from ab training - remember when we talked about core training? As to the frequency of abdominal training, I see no reason to do more than two sessions per week of eight-12 sets per workout. Any more than that and you will be over-training and that is as bad as not training at all.

Jim: This is probably one of the most frequently asked questions by individuals who are beginning a strength-training program. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer.

Abdominals are very important muscles, but somewhat hard to overload due to their placement and function. In addition, individual fat patterning, regardless of body weight, may be a factor. Some individuals tend to store body fat in the abdominal area, making it difficult to get "the look," despite much sweat and effort.

While a "six-pack" abdomen may be attractive, this alone is insufficient to develop core strength. Exercises should also be performed for the lower back, sides of the trunk and pelvic floor for an all-around core strength-training program.

Typical exercises that are recommended for abdominal strengthening include "crunches" (which are mini sit-ups), as well as bent leg sit ups with, and without, twisting and side bending exercises. Many repetitions of abdominal exercises must be performed to overload these muscles to the point where they begin to have a washboard look.

Recently, Pilates exercises have made their way from physical therapy clinics and dance studios into the mainstream. Many feel that this is a more gentle and complete way to exercise the abdomen. As one who has learned to perform these exercises as part of a back rehab program, I can tell you that gentleness should not be confused with ease. There are many good books and videos out that discuss Pilates exercises, so good luck.

If you would like to have your questions answered, please e-mail them to msandu@statenews.com.

Share and discuss “Rock your body” on social media.