Monday, October 21, 2024

E.L. council, ASMSU work to bridge gap

ASMSU will host a visit from East Lansing City Councilmember Bill Sharp at its general assembly meeting tonight to discuss recent city development plans that compromise city and student relations.

MSU's undergraduate student government has plans to discuss rental-housing ordinances, East Village redevelopment and Virginia Avenue developments.

"We hope to open dialogue with city council members about issues with students and the city," said Andrew Schepers, Student Assembly chairperson. "Through the meeting, we're hoping to keep open these lines between council members and ASMSU."

Schepers said some city and student relations have been strained since East Lansing's noise ordinance was adopted last September.

"We're trying to rekindle some of these relations that broke down last year," Schepers said.

Sharp said students have been involved in city council decisions.

"We do everything we can to try to reach across Grand River," he said. "But we also have to take care of the people who live on the north side of Grand River.

"We're not going to make everyone happy, so we do the best we can."

He also said the rental ordinances in contention don't target students.

"It's not affecting students at all because it's not taking anything away that's not already there, and I don't think they understand that," he said.

Sharp said he accepted ASMSU's invitation to attend, but hasn't received any information on topics they plan to address.

Student Assembly External Vice Chairperson Andrew Bell said some students feel left out because of the rental ordinance, which allows areas to block rental properties.

"The first step in the right direction is to say, 'There's been some friction, so sit down together from the start, and start working again,'" he said. "At the very least, we hope to make our point of view understood."

ASMSU members also will discuss its recommendations for tailgating safety, which will later go to the MSU Board of Trustees.

In its policy committee last week, ASMSU drafted a bill with tailgating recommendations that will go before the general assembly today.

Tailgating revisions included a possible no-glass policy, a limit on alcohol potency and a time restriction before the game.

Schepers said he strongly suggests students come to the public meeting at 328 Student Services to voice their opinions to the City Council.

Share and discuss “E.L. council, ASMSU work to bridge gap” on social media.