Monday, September 30, 2024

In with the old

Though updates are unavoidable, proposed high-rise condos in historic district inappropriate

When confronted with an unattractive dilemma, the most attractive outcome might very well be the lesser of two evils. In exercising such conclusions, though, there are always two options to select from - the right way and the wrong way.

Gerald Mannausa of Fairview Realty faces such a choice. As the owner of Hillcrest Village Apartments, Mannausa has watched first-hand as his 67-year-old buildings, which fringe East Lansing's historic district, have slowly fallen into disrepair. Not as a result of poor maintenance, of course, but rather the fate all structures meet as a result of time. The choice facing Mannausa is really not whether to invest in new structures all-together - it would be spendthrift to do otherwise - but to determine the best method of cost-effective replacement. The right way again finds itself across the bargaining table from the wrong way.

The right way for Mannausa to replace his ivy-covered apartment buildings is by considering that his apartments offer tenants something most complexes cannot boast - history. In a town where many homeowners and student renters have been at odds with each other to the point of implementing a stringent noise policy, Hillcrest Village has been relatively unaffected. Those reluctant to see their historic homes replaced are crying foul not over the necessity of the move, but rather what could potentially replace some of East Lansing's most historic homes.

Mannausa's prospective plans would be what constitutes "the wrong way" in this decision. Though still on the drawing board, his plans call for several eight-to-10 story condominium buildings, which offer the amenities 67-year-old buildings simply cannot provide. The plans for high-rise buildings would violate city zoning laws as is, although Mannausa seems to be exerting efforts to circumvent that. When compared to the bustling development of Northern Tier apartment complexes, Mannausa looks merely to be cracking a market that his current property can't compete with.

Feel free to draw your own parallels from this quagmire to a David and Goliath conflict of progress forsaking history. Tenants or nearby historic district residents don't want to see the niche their neighborhood gives to the city blemished by unsightly high-rises, and Mannausa is only looking to keep up with the Joneses of East Lansing rentals. Replace the buildings should the motivation be necessity, but please acknowledge how the surroundings will be affected.

There is nothing remotely "historical" about 10-story condominiums. There is little doubt such structures would violate the nature of the current neighborhood, but there is absolutely zero doubt such a move would do anything to preserve our city's history. Hillcrest Village Apartments offer East Lansing residents a living environment unlike most places in the area. Replacing the worn buildings with buildings of a similar style and substance may not be the most cost effective measure, but in this case, it's certainly the best.

There's a right way to offer tenants a pleasant, well-kept home, Mr. Mannausa - one that does not require drastic, unsightly change.

Share and discuss “In with the old” on social media.