Monday, October 21, 2024

WEB ONLY: Program helps promote awareness for those with disabilities

When half of the students at Wednesday night's Anti-Ableism Workshop tried to complete an icebreaker activity, they quickly discovered their partners couldn't communicate as they expected.

The other half of the students had received instructions telling them they had a communication disorder.

"My mind is racing. I can't understand what you're saying," was the only answer returned.

After finishing the exercise, students and leaders discussed the embarrassment and frustrations it caused. The activity was one of several used at the workshop put on by the Council of Students with Disabilities, Department of Residence Life, the Office of Lesbian, Bi, Gay and Transgender Concerns and Student Affairs and Services. The workshop centered on combating ableism - the oppression of people with disabilities.

"It was a little frustrating not knowing what approach to use to ask the questions," audiology and speech sciences sophomore Kelly Billings said after the icebreaker. "I could tell (my partner) was frustrated."

Billings said the workshop was a reminder to "put yourself in the other person's shoes."

"You get so into your everyday habits," she said. "I learned a little better how to be aware of my surroundings."

Another activity required students to move their positions in line based on their personal privileges. An ability to enter all buildings unaided meant a step forward, while a need to plan days around a disability meant a step back. Students were asked to look behind and compare their privileges to others' behind them.

Council president Melinda Haus led a discussion after the exercise.

"When you have that much privilege, you never stop to look at who you're leaving behind," the social work senior said, adding that she hopes workshops like these help people realize their own biases.

Erin Roberts, a graduate assistant with the Office of LBGT Concerns, talked about being an ally to people with disabilities. For her, helping is about changing the way she thinks, she said.

"It started to be more about how can we make things more accessible, rather than make them more able," she said.

Share and discuss “WEB ONLY: Program helps promote awareness for those with disabilities” on social media.