Monday, October 21, 2024

Few ready for upcoming session

On April 20 and 22, members of MSU's undergraduate student government will choose who will fill chair positions for both Academic and Student assemblies, but only three representatives attended orientation last weekend.

To further help new representatives ease into their responsibilities, current ASMSU vice chairs held a new-representative orientation on April 3.

"It's overwhelming if you haven't done student government before," said Kevin Ogden, new College of Natural Science representative for Student Assembly, who attended with Thomas Cooke and Brian Forest. "It helped explain what ASMSU is and why we are here."

Although only three representatives attended, Andrew Schepers, Student Assembly vice chair of internal affairs, said they hope to expand the program in the future.

"They have an opportunity to sit down one-on-one with ASMSU advisers," he said. "We'd like to see it grow with key officials from the university and city so they can see who the student leaders are."

No one has announced publicly that they are running for the chair positions.

"It's one of the things we like to keep secret around here," Schepers said. "Part of it is tradition and part of is that people just don't turn in their applications until the day of."

That means the new representatives might never have met their potential leaders until the night of their first meeting.

Each assembly elects a chair, as well as internal and external vice chairs.

"I think it would nice to have a little bit of background, like the important items that have come to the assembly," Ogden said.

That's why all representatives will receive a copy of the candidates' applications, hear a five-minute speech and have a chance to question each candidate.

"But I think learning about them the night of, you can still get a pretty good judge of character," Ogden said.

Academic Assembly chairperson Jared English agreed, and added that not having prior prejudices of a candidate can be both a help and a hindrance.

"Every candidate comes with a clean slate," he said. "But you could easily get a smooth talker who comes in and speaks a good line. But in the past, assemblies have been pretty good at distinguishing that."

As a safeguard in case representatives find they've made a poor choice, assemblies have the opportunity to remove a chair who doesn't perform well.

"That always is a concern," Schepers said. "That's why they always have the option to recall."

College Contacts

New ASMSU representatives take their posts on April 20 and 22. All e-mail addresses are @msu.edu.

Student Assembly
Academic Assembly
Arts & Letters
Thomas Cooke*, cooketho
Brian Forest, forestbr

Patricia Smith, smithp29

Eli Broad Ryan Townsend, townse95 Jordan Catrine, catrinej

Engineering Erik Carr, carrerik Erik Carr, carrerik

James Madison Robert Huber*, huberrob Jessica Hancock, hancoc18

Tahera Sakarwala, sakarwal Elizabeth Hanak*, hanakeli

Natural Science Lauren Polinsky*, polinsk3 Andrew McCoy, mccoyan1

Lauren Kramar Olson*, olsonla3 Michael Susner, susnermi

Michael Susner, susnermi Vinayak Prasad, prasadv1

Kevin Ogden*, ogdenkev

Social Science Robert Murphy, murph201 Peter Tomchuck*, tomchuc2

Hallee Winnie, winnieha

* New college representative

Share and discuss “Few ready for upcoming session” on social media.