Monday, October 21, 2024

ASMSU members reflect on year of work

Over the past year, ASMSU debated 83 bills, held 32 general meetings and spent almost 80 hours in deliberation.

As 21 new members take office tonight, officials from MSU's undergraduate student government reflected on a session where few bills were passed, even fewer had a direct impact on students, and an Academic Assembly initiative to add candy to the business office was half-jokingly referred to as "the best thing we've done all year."

Election confusion

Officials attributed most of the session's troubles to an election debacle last spring in which more than 60 representatives were disqualified, leaving the assemblies with fewer than a dozen representatives on each, many of whom did not have previous ASMSU experience.

Some students were disqualified because they were endorsed by student groups who did not follow the election code.

"We saw damaging effects on the effectiveness of the assembly with so many new students - there was a big learning curve to overcome," Academic Assembly Chairperson Jared English said.

This spring, election issues again emerged when MSU College Democrats and College Republicans said the new election code restricted freedom of speech by requiring groups to receive candidate permission before endorsing and by discouraging slates.

Reactive and internal bills

At the beginning of the school year, there were questions as to why Student Assembly responded to the revised East Lansing noise ordinance after it passed.

"It was passed without a lot of discussion with the students," said Kevin Glandon, Student Assembly vice chairperson for external affairs.

The assembly later passed bills addressing a lack of input and their recommendations.

In Academic Assembly, many bills changed the internal structure of the assembly rather than academic issues.

"People never seem to be focusing on how to make students' academic life better except in terms of redefining internal government," said Tom Morse, Student Assembly vice chairperson for internal affairs. "Given any framework, Academic Governance gives us so much potential and capability that was just wasted."

College of Arts & Letters Representative Brian Forest is leading the Reform Alliance, which is looking in part to change internal structure.

"In order to get things done, we have to make things easier to work on behalf of students," he said.

Successes

Two initiatives from Academic Assembly made it to the Academic Governance system, which is the final step in changing university policy before the Board of Trustees.

One addressed changing Academic Governance bylaws to allow non-Academic Assembly students to sit on Academic Council. The council approved a change recommended by ASMSU that said professors must maintain academic integrity.

Academic Assembly members also were active in focus groups discussing Provost Lou Anna Simon's proposal for the liberal arts reorganization.

Some members organized a dinner for students to meet with legislators and discuss higher education. Plans for an off-campus resource center also were discussed.

Student Assembly allocated $222,199 to programming and funding boards to give to student groups and events.

Looking ahead

With most assemblies composed of returning members, many say they want to continue to connect with students.

English said the best ways to do that were through events, such as plans for Welcome Week activities this fall, attending student group meetings and over the Internet.

ASMSU's Web site was left virtually untouched until a new webmaster was hired this semester.

They'll also continue work on the noise ordinance and preventing future riots, Glandon said.

An orientation for new representatives last weekend included a more thorough explanation of what the goals of each assembly should be, and Paul Harmon, who will be association director in the next session, said he hopes to enforce goals of reaching students.

For more information, visit http://asmsu.msu.edu or call (517) 355-8266.

Share and discuss “ASMSU members reflect on year of work” on social media.