Monday, October 21, 2024

Study says move hurts Lansing

Health Management Associates, a medical consulting firm, told area leaders last week that moving MSU's College of Human Medicine might have damaging effects on Mid-Michigan's health care without reaping financial benefits for MSU, news reports said.

The firm was hired by a committee working to keep the college in the Lansing area.

In January, officials from both MSU and Grand Rapids said they were having discussions about the school's possible expansion or relocation into that area. University officials have said a decision will most likely be made this spring.

The goal of the firm's investigation is to assess the impact that changes to the college could have on Mid-Michigan. Members also hope the report will craft a model that the committee could propose to the university that would benefit MSU and the state, East Lansing City Manager Ted Staton said.

The Lansing State Journal reported the initial findings last Tuesday, but committee members declined to characterize the nature of that report Sunday.

"It's just too early to draw conclusions," said state Senator Virg Bernero, D-Lansing. The report was written before consultants really sat down with people in the medical school, he said.

All information from the preliminary findings may change when a final report is released.

"We're looking not only to make us a better medical institution, but a better medical resources for the state," MSU spokesman Terry Denbow said.

"We will also not do anything that would harm the medical community of Mid-Michigan."

Share and discuss “Study says move hurts Lansing” on social media.