Monday, October 21, 2024

Same-sex marriage fliers vandalized

This PRISM bulletin board in Wilson Hall recently was vandalized when photographs of gay couples were torn from the display.

Bulletin boards with same-sex marriage information have been targets of vandalism in four residence halls.

Members of the South Complex lesbian, bi, gay and transgender group PRISM created the boards in the heavily trafficked first floor of the buildings. South Complex includes Wilson, Holden, Case and Wonders halls.

"We took a breakdown of the same-sex marriage issue," said PRISM President Franny Howes, explaining that all the boards included the quote, "Separate is seldom, if ever, equal," from the February court decision in Massachusetts that addressed same-sex marriages. Boards also mention Michigan's proposed marriage amendment, which would define marriage as between a man and a woman. Four photos of same-sex couples who were married in San Francisco also are posted.

Among the pictures, one features two men kissing.

"That one has been consistently ripped down every time you put it up," Howes said, adding that she has replaced the boards at least two or three times in each hall.

All residence hall governments and caucuses have designated bulletin boards to share information, said Residence Life Area Coordinator Jane Olson, adding that there are no restrictions on the content of the boards.

"The greatest concern to me is the lack of acceptance and respect of viewpoints," Olson said. "We're an educational institution. You're supposed to be able to put up information.

Olson said there are some student regulations that address vandalism of property. Violations of these codes would be dealt with through the university judicial process, she said. No one has been named a suspect for the vandalism and no police report has been filed by PRISM members.

Olson said Residence Life staff will be encouraged to have conversations about the boards in government and caucus meetings.

Premedical freshman Amy Uhlianuk said she had seen the photo of the two men kissing and was not offended.

Uhlianuk, however, said that other bulletins in Wilson Hall also have been vandalized, not just PRISM's.

Erica Carpenter, a mentor on the fourth floor of Wilson Hall, agreed that other boards are vandalized. The advertising junior said she makes about three boards every month for her floor.

Carpenter said she blames the behavior on drinking, but can't be sure.

"It makes it look like they have no respect for their community," she said.

Share and discuss “Same-sex marriage fliers vandalized” on social media.