Monday, October 21, 2024

Plans for greenhouse might cause debate if bill passes assembly

If a bill supporting MSU's Student Greenhouse Project passes through Student Assembly tonight, the two branches of ASMSU officially will have differing plans on what should be built behind Old Horticulture Building.

The bill declares Student Assembly stands behind the project, a tropical biodome slated to be built on north campus.

In spring of 2003, Academic Assembly passed a bill supporting the Outdoor Learning Space, a wooded brick amphitheater, to be built in the same area.

Neither plan has financial backing from ASMSU.

The two assemblies of MSU's undergraduate student government generally do not pass opposing bills, Academic Assembly Chairperson Jared English said.

From 2001 to 20 03, Academic Assembly developed a university-approved learning space, which would be used as a gathering area for groups from 20 to 350 people.

A report on the learning space stated that the planning group endorsed the Student Greenhouse, but believed it would be better placed on South Campus near other greenhouses.

The group approached a joint assembly of ASMSU in November 2003 asking for support, and Student Assembly picked up their cause.

Student Assembly Chairperson Missy Kushlak said the policy committee discussed last week whether the assembly should consider an opposing bill. About 30 supporters of the Student Greenhouse Project attended the meeting.

"The view was the two bills did not necessarily have to contradict each other," Kushlak said. "They do not specifically say where on north campus they would be."

Members of the Student Greenhouse Project are working with administrators to get their design, which has changed extensively since its inception, approved by the university.

The university has taken no formal stance on what will go in the field, although according to the 2020 Vision plan it would be kept as greenspace.

Jeff Kacos, director of campus park and planning, said the university approved a "modest" greenhouse proposal from the group around 1998.

"The focus of the project changed drastically," he said. "I believe a project of this size, scope and ongoing cost is hard to justify."

But members of the project say the Student Assembly bill is the final piece needed to show the biodome is wanted on campus.

"It's once again proving to the administration that we have student support for this project," Eeda Shemke, co-chair for the project, said.

For information on ASMSU and the Student Greenhouse Project, visit asmsu.msu.edu or www.greenhouse2001.msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Plans for greenhouse might cause debate if bill passes assembly” on social media.