Monday, October 21, 2024

MIDDAY UPDATE: ASMSU sponsors Battle of the Bands

At their last meeting before spring break on March 4, ASMSU's Student Assembly set plans for its annual Battle of the Bands in motion by approving more than $3,000 for the event.

The Battle of the Bands is a promotional event for ASMSU's upcoming general elections March 24. The two events will occur simultaneously at the Union.

"We've got some great ideas to get the word out and let people know what's really going on," said Andrew Schepers, vice chairperson for internal affairs, who introduced the bill. Students will be able to vote in ASMSU elections at the battle.

The bill initially met with mixed feelings from the assembly, mainly because of conflicts with other university events.

Another battle of the bands, sponsored by Residence Halls Association, University Activities Board and Freshman Class Council, will occur in the same semester as ASMSU's.

Residence Halls Association representative Kristen Daddow, said if ASMSU sponsors an event, it will get their name out without relying solely on mass e-mailing. A second Battle of the Bands wouldn't be a deterrent to ASMSU, she said.

"Students are looking for things to do and they're going to go to both events."

The assembly also approved the hiring of six new staff members, who aren't elected in general elections.

Communication seniors Traci Walker and Lisa Papaghanian became the programming board and funding board comptrollers, respectively. Comptrollers oversee group finances.

Human biology seniors Asha Shah and Carrie Senk were appointed to the University Student Appeals Board.

Earlier appointments for the Director of Constituent Activism and the Director of Digital/Graphic Marketing were approved by the assembly.

For more information, visit http://asmsu.msu.edu.

Share and discuss “MIDDAY UPDATE: ASMSU sponsors Battle of the Bands” on social media.