Monday, October 21, 2024

WEB-ONLY: Group meets to discuss traffic issues

Improvements to traffic and pedestrian safety across campus were discussed Wednesday during a special public forum.

The All-University Traffic and Transportation Committee held the forum to introduce the public to its recommendations for improving traffic situations on campus.

Three subcommittees were formed to address specific issues - north campus traffic, pedestrian and bicycle safety, and long-term parking, traffic and transportation planning.

Committee member Jim Sheppard spoke on behalf of the north campus subcommittee and said one of the biggest problem areas is near the Union.

The group is looking into restructuring parking along West Circle Drive, calling for parallel parking rather than the diagonal parking bays.

Member Michael Rice said north campus sees about 17 percent of all accidents on campus - higher than any other area.

A carpool access system also is being discussed, which would add special parking spaces for those utilizing the system, and a 700-space parking garage is slated to be built near Morrill Hall in an attempt to alleviate some of the parking problems.

"There is going to be a lot of dynamic changes on north campus," Sheppard said.

The group also discussed the possibility of increasing fines for parking tickets in an effort to deter people from parking illegally.

The cost of such a ticket is now $25, a rate set and capped by the state Legislature. Members acknowledged it would be hard to get lawmakers to consider raising the fines and said it would take years for the changes - if any - to take place.

Mike Gardner said his subcommittee on bicycle and pedestrian safety had the idea of putting together pamphlets to distribute during the first week of school and when students register their bikes. The pamphlets would contain safety information and bicycle etiquette.

The group also discussed adding special lanes for pedestrians and bicyclists and addressed ways to encourage people to use their cars less frequently.

Long-term plans were presented by member Jon Harrison, who highlighted five areas of focus: parking, compliance of parking regulations, vehicle traffic, pedestrian and bicycle safety, and public transportation.

The entire committee, which holds regular meetings once a month, will now review the final drafts of the recommendations in March. The reports then will be forwarded in April to Fred Poston, MSU's vice president for finance and operations, who will make any final decisions.

Share and discuss “WEB-ONLY: Group meets to discuss traffic issues” on social media.