Friday, May 3, 2024

The Elected makes 'Me First' collective debut

The liner notes in The Elected's debut, "Me First," explain almost everything there is to know about Blake Sennett's life away from Rilo Kiley.

There are thanks to Elliott Smith, who opened his studio to Sennett. There's praise for Jenny Lewis of Rilo Kiley for "niceness and help with words." There are blessings for Jimmy Tamborello of The Postal Service, and a slew of kind words for contributors from Bright Eyes, Azure Ray and Ozma.

And elements of all of these musicians are obvious in the album's 12 tracks. It's an indie powerhouse so touching, it will fog up your thick-rimmed glasses.

Indie, yes, but not indie rock. The album is heavy on alt-country twangs and the same type of electronic influences that shocked and awed the hipsters in The Postal Service's 2003 release, "Give Up."

The album's standout track, "Go On," shows a son lecturing his mom. It's one example of an album riddled with specific details that cause either a comfortable sense of familiarity or an uncomfortable sense of wondering what the hell happened to Sennett during his childhood. "It was a long time ago, maybe the first day of school or going to visit Dad./I was scared but you told me I'd come home if I wanted./ I was only nine but I went."

References to dysfunction pop up throughout the album, but it's more of a lyrical coming-of-age release than a whiny Oprah-worthy tale. There are signs of optimism here and there, encouraging phrases, such as "Someone out there loves you," that immediately fade into solid, but stark advice: "Don't blow it./ Don't throw it away." That track, aptly titled, "Don't Blow It," includes a chorus of voices repeating the title phrase, giving it the same eerie feeling that comes with listening to The Rolling Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

On its own, Sennett's voice is airy, sleepy and absolutely identical to his sound on the least listenable tracks on Rilo Kiley's "The Execution of All Things."

"Me First" might be too dreamy or dull for many people to call it a favorite, but musically, it's an impressive combination of genres that would generally fail the kindergarten "play well with others" test.

If you like this, you might like: Any of the musicians that helped Sennett on "Me First."

Suggested listening: After a big argument with your parents when you know you're wrong.

Share and discuss “The Elected makes 'Me First' collective debut” on social media.