Monday, October 21, 2024

RHA seeks to raise semester tax by $1

Members of the Residence Halls Association's General Assembly voted Wednesday to increase the organization's tax on dorm residents from $21 to $22.

Assembly members voted 23-3-1 on the bill, which must gain approval from students in a March vote to take effect. This move is coupled with an executive restructuring that would save RHA about $8,000 in payroll expenses per semester.

"If it passes, it would go to cover Channel 12 contract increases," RHA Internal Vice President Tom Edwards said, referring to the campus movie channel. The contract requires RHA to increase its payments to Channel 12 by $2,000 annually to cover inflationary costs.

Edwards said the increase, which would be about $14,000 each semester, would also go into other programs.

He added this is the first time in three years that RHA has increased its tax, and the 5 percent increase fits in with inflation.

"If you put more money into special events, ticket prices go down," he said, adding that if there is any unallocated money, RHA could start a new program.

"It's more money to play around with. We'll definitely find places to put it."

Hospitality business freshman Erica Bills said she would rather see the money go to programs other than Channel 12.

"I wouldn't mind paying the extra dollar, but I think there's better programs on campus that money could be going toward," she said.

RHA's tax is the biggest students have to pay. ASMSU, MSU's undergraduate student government, and WDBM (88.9-FM) tax students a combined $16.75.

RHA President Derek Wallbank said the organization doesn't operate with a reserve fund for any emergencies that might arise.

"We believe that if you take the money, you better spend the money," he said.

General management freshman Ronald Billmeier said he would probably vote in favor of the tax increase.

"I think it would be good. I like to watch movies on that channel so it would benefit me. A dollar isn't that much to give up," he said, adding that there could be a problem if other organizations also began to raise their taxes.

Also at Wednesday's meeting, RHA's General Assembly agreed to restructure the association's bylaws so that the organization's pay scale is in line with the university's.

"It's so that if they change it again we won't be behind," Edwards said.

Before this, RHA paid its executives a set amount. With the changes, executives will be paid according to the university minimum wage, which is $6.27 per hour for level-one executives, including presidents and vice presidents.

"It's something we've been looking at doing for a while. We're starting off every employee at the same rate, with standardized pay increases," Wallbank said, adding that he was unsure how much the organization would financially gain from the change.

Share and discuss “RHA seeks to raise semester tax by $1” on social media.