Heads 'Roll' out new rocking album

Throughout rock history, the three-piece band has never ceased to amaze.

How can such a powerful sound stem from just three musicians? The answer is as simple as the layout: When you've got three people who truly know how to play their instruments, magic can happen.

Detroit's own Heads Will Roll is the perfect example of the power trio.

Jeff Zlatich, former frontman of Capture The Flag, is so amazingly good at the guitar that he can scream his lungs out or sing while essentially being one of the best local rock guitarists. The riffs, the solos, the muffled power chords - wow, I'm in love.

It's hard to compare the sound of Heads Will Roll to any other band in particular, because the positive, passionate sounds are so fresh and superior to most of what's out there.

"Cogito" is a song that demonstrates very well the band's versatility. In this song, Zlatich's lyrics can be fully understood and his beautiful guitar melodies fit nicely with a backing viola. And while the song has mellow points, when the groovy bass is pumped up and Zlatich returns to his punk persona, it still fits well.

"Balance" is a great name for the album's harmonious tenth track, which features a beautiful string arrangement, compliments of guest viola and violin players. The lyrics are powerful: "Center yourself/You may discover/Once you are still/One side needs the other."

For pure outta control punk rock, check out "Concepts." As soon as the opening riff is played, anyone who appreciates the heavier things in life will find themselves in complete bliss for three minutes and seven seconds.

What I like so much about Heads Will Roll is that it mixes the raw energy of punk rock with the headbanging-quality guitar solos of metal. And don't even get me started on the bass. Derek Swanson's ability to keep a steady and solid rhythm throughout each song makes the music flow onto uncharted planes of punk.

If you love a good rock guitar solo more than anything, take a listen to "Possibility" and be prepared to become a Heads Will Roll fan. You'll be helpless against the powers of rock.

Suggested listening: Turned up way loud, while banging your head.

Share and discuss “Heads 'Roll' out new rocking album” on social media.