'Razorblade Romance' splices rock 'n' roll with goth sound

It's hard to understand H.I.M., also know as His Infernal Majesty.

The fact that the band is from Helsinki, Finland, doesn't help. Then again, neither does the lack of publicity, touring or self-promotion in the United States.

But the blend of Slayer, Tchaikovsky, Johnny Cash and Jimi Hendrix, turns out to be a hard-hitting mix of goth and metal love.

No, goth hasn't made its way into mainstream America yet. But praise the almighty H.I.M.'s "Razorblade Romance" for helping make the genre more mass-marketable on future shelves.

The first track, "Your Sweet Six Six Six," screams heavy lyrics with soothing guitar rhythms and murmured drum beats. The melodramatic guitar shapes "Romance" into something garage-rock should take notes on.

The highlight of "Romance" is the fourth track, "Right Here In My Arms." The track is heavy with guitar riffs and doesn't stop the pounding - even through the existential lyrics. An amazing guitar bridge picks up the song's beat until your hands start going hard-core and don't stop shaking. Amen for music like this that actually excites.

Although the title of the third track, "Join Me In Death," doesn't exactly ring of soft keyboard and sensitive lead vocals, the opening keyboard and guitar transform the otherwise slow tune. The lyrics are exactly what you'd expect: "So anxious to be together in death/ Won't you die tonight for love/ This world is a cruel place and we're here only to lose before life tears us apart/ Let death bless me with you/ This life ain't worth living."

H.I.M.'s slow, intense ballads show that the band is ready for mainstream success. The unpretentious sounds will make you grab your latest Incubus CD and smash it into pieces.

Suggested listening: As a cure for an emo hangover.

Share and discuss “'Razorblade Romance' splices rock 'n' roll with goth sound” on social media.