Tuesday, October 1, 2024

E.L. housing complex plans revised

Pat Gillespie, president of Gillespie Development & Management, stands in what is now an open field that could be the future site of The Beaumont, if the East Lansing City Council approves the housing complex. The Beaumont would bring 430 new housing units to the 40-acre plot located on Coleman Road.

Plans for a new housing complex in northern East Lansing may soon get the green light from the city council.

Gillespie Development & Management President Patrick Gillespie will submit revised construction plans for The Beaumont, a 40-acre housing complex planned to be built west of Crossing Place Apartments on Coleman Road.

On Jan. 6, the council opted to postpone approval of the project until Gillespie changed the proposal to please neighboring residents. Several East Lansing residents circulated a petition calling for a stop to developer's progress until city officials addressed their concerns related to traffic, noise and rental issues.

"We're just looking to find a happy medium there and make everyone happy," said Gillespie, adding he hopes construction will begin this summer.

Council members are expected to vote on the proposal at the Jan. 20 council meeting.

The complex will be made up of more than 400 dwelling units, including townhome condominiums, single-family homes and rental apartments. The site also would feature 8,000 square feet of retail and office space, a clubhouse and a pool.

The updated proposal includes moving the pool farther away from neighboring residences and converting some rental properties to owner-occupied units in the complex's southern end.

Despite petitions and public concern, East Lansing resident Bill Hanes said the development is inevitable. Hanes owns a home and property on the corner of Coleman and Coolidge roads, just west of the proposed complex site.

"The developers always win," Hanes said. "Petitions and all that might delay it for a year, but it always happens."

Hanes said that development companies have tried to negotiate deals with him to sell his property, but he has always refused the offers because the companies didn't offer enough.

"They think they can come right in with their checkbook and write you a check," he said.

Hanes said he has lived in the same house for more than 30 years, and could remember a time before the increased development and traffic.

"You could take a nap in the road," he said. "Now you've got to be careful getting your mail or backing out of your driveway."

Student-occupied housing developments on Abbott Road in East Lansing and Chandler Road in Bath Township have caused increased traffic along the corridor.

In December, East Lansing and Bath Township officials agreed to jointly fund a traffic study along the corridor to help understand what actions to take in the area. But Councilmember Beverly Baten said it may be five or ten years before any work can be done because of budget shortcomings.

"Everyone has to travel from north to south (on Abbott Road), and if you continue further development up there, you're just going to choke it," said Kevin Beard, former planning commission chairperson and new member of the Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission.

Beard was one of two opposing votes in a recommendation made to the council in December to approve The Beaumont complex proposal.

Some council members are quick to point out that The Beaumont will not turn into another student housing complex.

"He's almost there, but we didn't want to see as many rentals," Baten said of the council's decision. "People think student rentals right away, so I knew there would be a negative reaction."

Baten said she met with Gillespie and urged him to advertise the units to an older crowd, rather than students.

"It would be more well received if he started marketing toward alumni," Baten said.

Share and discuss “E.L. housing complex plans revised” on social media.