Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Companies recall malfunctioning cars

DaimlerChrysler, GM warn owners of vehicle defects

Two of the nation's largest automakers announced plans this month to recall more than 3 million cars assembled in the late 1990s, potentially affecting many drivers at MSU.

On Jan. 12, General Motors Corp. announced plans to recall 750,000 cars in the United States and about 55,000 in Canada manufactured between Jan. 1, 1996, and Oct. 31, 1997.

Last week, DaimlerChrysler also declared a recall of 2.7 million of its cars.

Jim Schell, a GM spokesman, said the automaker's recall was initiated after an evaluation revealed a potential defect related to some vehicles' power steering.

Drivers of the affected cars have experienced sporadic loss of power steering during left turns at low speeds, Schell said, resulting in eight minor injuries.

The automaker will notify car owners of the defect by mid-February, and drivers can then take their vehicles to local GM dealers for free repair, Schell said.

Vehicle owners can opt to have their vehicles inspected at auto shops, he said, or contact GM's customer assistance office for dealership repair locations.

Owners of used GM and DaimlerChrysler vehicles who worry they might not be notified can search the manufacturers' Web sites to find out if their car is being recalled.

"Customers have been inquiring about other steering issues," Schell said. "Not all steering problems (in these vehicles) are related to this particular recall condition."

A potential defect in certain DaimlerChrysler models is causing close to 3 million recalls. Malfunctions in some floor-mounted shifters prompted DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler group to recall 2.7 million vehicles, including 1995-99 Dodge Stratus models, 1996-99 Sebring convertibles, and 1993-99 Dodge Intrepids.

Angela Spencer Ford, a spokeswoman for the DaimlerChrysler, said the affected vehicles' shifters might be potentially damaged by excessive force when the key is not in its ignition, causing the car to move. Notification might take as long as four months, she said.

"About 10 percent of these vehicles may be affected by this issue," Ford said. "It is more prevalent in vehicles in commercial or rental fleets."

Under federal law, automakers are required to report any possible safety defects to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In addition to investigations, the administration also compiles an extensive online list of vehicles facing recalls for curious owners inquiring about their cars' safety, administration spokesman Tim Hurd said.

"Some cases are harder to determine," Hurd said, adding that consumers should "keep a sharp eye" for potential problems before contacting dealers or body shops. "With any car, there is always something to worry about."

Jeff Crippen, president of Crippen Auto Mall, 8300 W. Saginaw Highway in Lansing, said he expects "quite a few" repair requests from customers in the next few weeks.

"Whenever there is a notice, we have customers calling asking, 'Is my car covered?'" Crippen said, adding that technicians will be on hand to repair affected vehicles or order parts. "Our people are aware; we're able to give them that assistance."

The recall of the vehicles, some of which are often seen driven by students around campus, has worried some drivers.

Child development senior Lisa Choma is not so sure about the automakers' credibility after the recalls.

"It's scary," the child development senior said. "I don't know if I would ever want to buy a car from them again."

Finance sophomore Mandee Garcia said a recall is inconvenient but necessary.

"Mistakes happen, but it's honorable something is being done," Garcia said.

Share and discuss “Companies recall malfunctioning cars” on social media.