Monday, October 21, 2024

Campus fair turnout drops

Attendants still show heart for studying abroad

Saginaw Valley senior April Gibson and MSU anthropology junior Briget Boyle pick out information from the social science booth Wednesday at the Study Abroad fair. MSU sends more students on study abroad than any other school.

Few students braved snowy sidewalks to learn about study abroad opportunities at the Union Wednesday.

Kathleen Fairfax, director for MSU's Office of Study Abroad, said less than the January fair's average of 1,500 students showed up Wednesday.

"We expected it to be lower because of the weather, but it's never been dead," she said at the fair.

Fairfax said, even though students didn't brave the winter weather for information, there have been a high number of early applications. Summer programs also have begun to fill up earlier than previous years, she said.

The deadline for summer, fall and academic year programs is March 1.

The Study Abroad Fair aims to draw students to a central location to learn about more than 180 programs in more than 50 countries. Faculty and study abroad program veterans also were available to answer questions from interested students.

Supply chain management senior Luke Fochtman recently returned from the fall Business Studies program at Chulalongkorn University in Thailand.

Fochtman said he came to the fair to encourage students to share in his experience.

"It was the best time of my life," Fochtman said. "The opportunity to experience new culture is unrivaled."

Fochtman said he wanted to get far away from home and learn about Thailand's business world, which is more carefree than the American competitive market, he said.

"They're not stressed out, it's a good lifestyle," he said.

Biochemistry and biotechnology freshman Keyunna Austin said she also is interested in studying abroad in Latin America. Austin said she's interested in Latino culture and likes how co-sponsored program grades now will appear on MSU transcripts.

"Grades will help you concentrate," she said. "You'll work harder because if you let your GPA get down, it would be detrimental."

Linda Summers, academic adviser for the College of Human Ecology, said students showed interest in the policy change at the fair by asking more informed questions about the college's programs.

"They're nervous about the unknown," she said. "They are the guinea pig group."

Share and discuss “Campus fair turnout drops” on social media.