Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Boxing bills debated

Some Michigan legislators are trying to make Michigan a contender for professional boxing matches.

A package of two bills to reform boxing regulations was passed unanimously Tuesday in the state House Regulatory Reform Committee.

If the bill is passed in both houses, Michigan could soon become a heavyweight host of world championship boxing events.

Michigan regulations only require the boxer's promoter to carry a $1,000 medical insurance policy and $5,000 for the case of sudden death. The new bill will raise that to $50,000.

"Our current regulations are woefully inadequate and decades old," said Rep. David Robertson, R-Grand Blanc, the sponsor of the bill. "Reform needs to happen if Michigan is going to be a premier destination for boxing."

There are no regulations in Michigan that guarantee a professional boxer gets paid after the match, but the bill would require promoters to put money down before a match to ensure it is paid.

"Many world champions have been born in Michigan, but they have to leave the state to compete at a higher level," Robertson said. "There is no reason why Michigan shouldn't be right up there with Nevada and New Jersey holding premier boxing championships."

But Bob Every, a former chairman and member of the Michigan Boxing Commission for the past eight years, said the new legislation won't have any effect on Michigan boxing.

"What this state needs is to be under the umbrella of federal legislation to create (a) uniform standard," Every said.

Members of the commission are appointed by the governor.

Boxers aren't paid all over the country, and Michigan has one of the strongest boxing commissions, Every said.

"There's so many ways these guys get around the rules and regulations," he said. "We're still going to have the sleazy characters."

Brad Wright, the chairman of the Athletic Board of Control, which regulates professional boxing in the state, said he is looking forward to the passage of the bill.

"In the last few years, boxing has been on the downside because of the poor laws in Michigan," he said. "No one is going to take a chance in coming here and not getting paid.

"Once we have a set of rules to protect boxers, it will bring more boxing to Michigan," he said.

The bill also directly affects regulations of referees, timekeepers, judges and promoters.

Bill Kozerski, the president of Fight Night Inc., a group of boxing promoters, said the legislation is a major step to restoring credibility in the state.

"It will make sure the major events are planned and regulations are up to par," he said. "Michigan has champions from the state, but they go elsewhere and so does the economic spin-off."

Robertson said three to four world championships could be held in Michigan per year, which could bring in $2 million-$4 million to be used for the state's general fund.

There would be no cost to the taxpayer, Robertson said, since all the money for the operation would be coming from fees placed on promoters.

"Anyone that owns a hotel will benefit and so will the restaurants, not to mention the other recreational places," he said. "The ripple effect of the economics of this is very positive."

Staff writer Elizabeth Piet contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Boxing bills debated” on social media.